Disk upgrade Maxtor vs IBM and more

mnelson1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi there, I am upgrading from a Promise 66 with WD 205BA and had some questions concerning hardware vs. cost.
1. I know nothing about SCSI technology and felt rather than take a short course since i am short on time i would ask people who do. At this point in time, is there an upgrade option to SCSI that is comparative to a 20G IDE, 7200, ATA100 setup? I know that they are typically more expensive but consider spending 30 bucks on controller and 100-125 on drive, can one get a better scsi setup for just a few bucks more?
2.Following a negative response from above, I am looking at the Maxtor Diamondmax or IBM Deskstar each of the same specifications mentioned above (20G, 7200rpm, ATA100). While it is well known how good the IBM is, i have seen little on the Maxtor and was wondering if they each were quite comparable. Reason is trying to purchase all units from one online site to save shipping charges and they have the Maxtor and not the IBM. Also Maxtor makes two models of the drive specs listed above, the GV40 and 45. They vary by 0.5 mS seek time and this is the only difference i can see. Does any one know if this makes much difference or knows more about them?
3. I am a big fan of Promis controller cards. However one is able to find the IWILL 100 RAID controller card for about 15-20 bucks more than the non-RAID ultra 100 made by promise. Can anyone tell me other than RAID vs non RAID what performance differences there might be? As well the IWILL card can support Linux while the promise does not! What you you do?????????????

I know this is long but can't research anymore, going crazy!
Thanks so much! matthew

machow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If you would like to read reviews and sites specialized oin storage devices, go to <A HREF="http://www.storagereview.com" target="_new">http://www.storagereview.com</A> (sorry Fredi, but this is a differnt site, not your competitior :smile: ). Maxtors are good, but IBM Deskstars are just way ahead, due to it's 15GB/platter technology.

Smart guys are not smart; they only see things in different perspective.
1st <b>ENTHUSIAST</b>!