[SOLVED] disk usage ALWAYS 100%?

yenek1

Prominent
Oct 7, 2021
Hi guys. am new to the forum, this forum, so I don't know if I should ask this question here. So excuse me.

My question would be that about two days ago my computer started acting very very strange. It was very slow, always freezing on everything, etc. Then just this morning I realized that my disk usage is constantly at 100%, that if I do anything, and I do mean ANYTHING on the computer. Let's put it as an example: I open spotify, disk usage 100%, my whole computer slows down. Same thing if I open google chrome tab, open any program, do any activity on the computer. If I start a game, let's not even talk about that, you can imagine what happens to my computer. It's very annoying, but I've tried everything from youtube videos and other articles, but I've even looked around this forum a bit and I haven't encountered this problem. So I would really appreciate if someone could help me with this, what could be the problem. ( I have NOT tried computer reinstallation yet)

My computer spec's if that helps any:

CPU

Intel Core i5 7400 @ 3.00GHz

RAM

DDR4 CRUCIAL 2400MHZ 8GB

Motherboard

MSI H110M PRO-D (MS-7996) (U3E1)

Graphics

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (NVIDIA)

Storage

119GB P3-128 (SATA (SSD))
931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (SATA )

How much space is left available on the drive? (Are there any garbage file clearing operations periodically run? After clearing junk files, can't hurt to start the defrag routine, and at least let it determine if there is any percentage of fragmentation existing; if anything, run it once, can't hurt!)

Spinning drives will always have noticeably more time involved in accessing files/apps than compared to SSD, but, of course the drive could actually be failing. Seeing disk usage go to 100% during times of actual access is normal, and, if low on RAM, and/or lots of activity occurring in the background, access may stay quite high...(At this point, with 500 and 1000 GB SSDs at about $65/$95, respectively, that's where I'd start. A fresh install to an SSD and the system should seem like a new rig by comparison!

In the interim, check CrystalDiskInfo for any abnormal conditions in health reporting, as indicated by anything other than 'good' health reported.

You can also check CrystalDiskMark and note the drive's performance in sequential reads/writes...

Last edited:

yenek1

Prominent
Oct 7, 2021
Hi. thank you very much for your reply.

The best thing would be not to buy a new ssd, not everyone can afford it, and as i said, the best thing would be to solve this problem. What you said, the two programs, i downloaded and these results showed: View: https://imgur.com/a/f5hYgbn

i dont notice any problems, it always says "good" but for some reason its still not good.. ironic, isnt it? :( if i can't fix it, the final solution will be a computer reinstall, probably.

Hi guys. am new to the forum, this forum, so I don't know if I should ask this question here. So excuse me.

My question would be that about two days ago my computer started acting very very strange. It was very slow, always freezing on everything, etc. Then just this morning I realized that my disk usage is constantly at 100%, that if I do anything, and I do mean ANYTHING on the computer. Let's put it as an example: I open spotify, disk usage 100%, my whole computer slows down. Same thing if I open google chrome tab, open any program, do any activity on the computer. If I start a game, let's not even talk about that, you can imagine what happens to my computer. It's very annoying, but I've tried everything from youtube videos and other articles, but I've even looked around this forum a bit and I haven't encountered this problem. So I would really appreciate if someone could help me with this, what could be the problem. ( I have NOT tried computer reinstallation yet)

My computer spec's if that helps any:

CPU

Intel Core i5 7400 @ 3.00GHz

RAM

DDR4 CRUCIAL 2400MHZ 8GB

Motherboard

MSI H110M PRO-D (MS-7996) (U3E1)

Graphics

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (NVIDIA)

Storage

119GB P3-128 (SATA (SSD))
931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (SATA )
Which disk is showing this usage?
Use task manager/performance.

Any process in task manager showing high usage?

yenek1

Prominent
Oct 7, 2021
Hi, thanks for your reply too.

my HDD shows that it is running on high usage.

And no, and that's the problem, and the funny thing is that there is no indication that any program is using high disk usage, it just goes up to 100% and my pc just starts lagging.

yenek1

Prominent
Oct 7, 2021
Hi guys! I finally managed to solve this problem, no article, or no youtube video showed me to run the "CHKDSK" in the command prompt. But this solved my problem. Thank you very much to everyone who took the time to solve this problem! I love you all very much :)

Have you run Chkdsk on the HDD? The symptoms you described can be caused by a file system error or bad sectors.