[SOLVED] Display adapter not waking from sleep

Nov 17, 2021
Recently rebuilt my desktop using a Gigabyte rtx3080 and Aorus Master z590 MB and a new 4K LG monitor to go with it. Weird thing is I put it to sleep when I go to bed but when I tap my keyboard or mouse button to wake it everything comes on except the monitor does not receive a signal. It used to wake up enough to show the lock screen and if I didn't touch anything the monitor would turn off after a minute and then an hour later the computer would turn off according to my power settings. Now the monitor does not get a signal after tapping it once unless I tap it again or move the mouse then the adapter wakes up. After about 15 seconds of no signal the monitor turns off and a minute later the entire system turns off again unless I tap the keyboard or mouse. I've disabled onboard video, tried multiple display ports and cables and HDMI, and the old monitor, turned off the link state power management, stopped the HDD from turning off. I thought maybe it was just my display adapter but that wouldn't explain the entire system turning off again. Mind you everything seems to run fine when I sign in, but it's like it's only half waking unless I sign in. Reinstalled windows since it's a new MB so every driver and Windows is as up to date as it can be. Long winded way of asking why would my system only half wake when the old build would fully wake even before signing in

Edit: Sorry, meant to put this under the systems category

Solution
Take a look at the Power Schemes to determine if something else is there or otherwise something is not as expected.

Try running "Powercfg /L" (without quotes) via the Powershell prompt. Run as admin.

Results from my computer:

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Try the new cross-platform PowerShell https://aka.ms/pscore6

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Powercfg /L

Existing Power Schemes (* Active)
-----------------------------------
Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e (Balanced)
Power Scheme GUID: 49ef8fc0-bb7f-488e-b6a0-f1fc77ec649b (Dell)
Power Scheme GUID: 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c (High performance) *
Power Scheme GUID...
Nov 17, 2021
Recently rebuilt my desktop using a Gigabyte rtx3080 and Aorus Master z590 MB and a new 4K LG monitor to go with it. Weird thing is I put it to sleep when I go to bed but when I tap my keyboard or mouse button to wake it everything comes on except the monitor does not receive a signal. It used to wake up enough to show the lock screen and if I didn't touch anything the monitor would turn off after a minute and then an hour later the computer would turn off according to my power settings. Now the monitor does not get a signal after tapping it once unless I tap it again or move the mouse then the adapter wakes up.

After about 15 seconds of no signal the monitor turns off and a minute later the entire system turns off again unless I tap the keyboard or mouse. I've disabled onboard video, tried multiple display ports and cables and HDMI, and the old monitor, turned off the link state power management, stopped the HDD from turning off. I thought maybe it was just my display adapter but that wouldn't explain the entire system turning off again.

Mind you everything seems to run fine when I sign in, but it's like it's only half waking unless I sign in. Reinstalled windows since it's a new MB so every driver and Windows is as up to date as it can be. Long winded way of asking why would my system only half wake when the old build would fully wake even before signing in

Ralston18

Titan
Take a look at the Power Schemes to determine if something else is there or otherwise something is not as expected.

Try running "Powercfg /L" (without quotes) via the Powershell prompt. Run as admin.

Results from my computer:

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Try the new cross-platform PowerShell https://aka.ms/pscore6

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Powercfg /L

Existing Power Schemes (* Active)
-----------------------------------
Power Scheme GUID: 381b4222-f694-41f0-9685-ff5bb260df2e (Balanced)
Power Scheme GUID: 49ef8fc0-bb7f-488e-b6a0-f1fc77ec649b (Dell)
Power Scheme GUID: 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c (High performance) *
Power Scheme GUID: a1841308-3541-4fab-bc81-f71556f20b4a (Power saver)
PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Then try "Powercfg /GetActiveScheme

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> powercfg /GetActiveScheme
Power Scheme GUID: 8c5e7fda-e8bf-4a96-9a85-a6e23a8c635c (High performance)

(Note: the active scheme is also indicated via the presence of the * at the end of one of the listed schemes presented by Powercfg /L. )

Solution
If you are using the LG 48" tv, it does not work like a normal monitor.
It will initially be able to wake, but, after some time sleeping, like 30 minutes, the LG will fully power off.
What I do is to use the remote to power it on before asking the pc to wake.
To date, I have found no solution to this.

Nov 17, 2021
Yes I updated the bios before I installed windows again after formatting, I thought IMEF was for remote monitoring/repair? Never needed it before so I don't have it atm

do you have latest version of BIOS and Intel Management Engine Firmware for motherboard? https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/Z590-AORUS-MASTER-rev-10/support#support-dl-driver-chipset

I don't think its a GPU driver error but you could try updating them.

I moved thread to right place.

did you clean install windows after hardware swaps?