Question Display is blinking steadily on and off ?

Malzie

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
I have a multiple monitor setup and a couple months ago my second monitor began blinking on and off steadily. About 1 second on, 1 second off.

The primary monitor is actually a 4k TV at 60hz on HDMI and the secondary is a 1080 PC monitor at 144hz on DisplayPort (Originally used for gaming). The TV is a couple years old and the monitor is about 10 years old. I have ran this setup since I purchased the TV (It was for work to run multiple desktops on one screen using a program called DisplayFusion). There were no issues until this past May.

What has me confused is that throughout the troubleshooting I've done... sometimes it will stop blinking and work without issue for a day or two and then go back to blinking. Sometimes it will stop blinking for 5-10 minutes and go back to blinking.

I suspect it might be an issue with the monitor itself but because sometimes it stops I doubt myself. When it blinks it does not appear that the computer loses signal or that the power is lost to the monitor. It feels like the panel itself is just blinking. When the blinking starts, with the computer turned off... the monitor menu blinks on and off making me think its nothing to do with the computer or cables.

Troubleshooting that I've tried and the results:

-Power cycled monitor via power switch: Blinking returns after about 30 seconds of no blinking

-Completely uninstalled Graphics driver using DDU in safe mode: On restart the monitor did not blink at all until the driver install completed. (Started blinking after the screen flashed off and the TV monitor received signal)

-Extended power off of the monitor: When I turned it back on the monitor worked without issue for about 2 days. Then a Windows 10 update installed and on restart it began to blink again.

-After the update, I turned the screen off over night and changed the DisplayPort it was plugged into and it worked for about a day until nvidia had a driver update which again caused the screen to flash off.... which then re-started the blinking.

I do not have a way to test the GPU with another monitor that is DP, and I don't have another computer with a DP to test the monitor. I am unsure if its just an old monitor giving up the ghost or if its an issue with Windows/GPU. I should note that when it is working there are no signs of any issues from the GPU and the DisplayPort cable is a premium quality cable.

Is there anything I'm missing or anything I can do further to troubleshoot? Or should I just accept fate and replace the monitor? Thank you in advanced.