Question Help me decide please

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
Hello! I need some help deciding what to do, since getting a new pc I don’t know wether I should upgrade my monitor to 4k oled or stay at 1440p but get an oled monitor
I’m concerned that at 4k the frame rates just wouldn’t be good enough, and some games don’t have dlss or fsr
I have heard there’s a way to make fsr work for every game but I haven’t a clue how that works either
The monitors I’m looking at are the 27” Alienware 1440p qdoled
And the 32” 4k qdoled
Please help me decide what to do
System specs :
7800x3d
64 gb ram
Win 11 64b

Do you care more about eye candy or frame rates?

What settings do you generally prefer to run with?

What types of games do you primarily play?

The bottom line really is that if you like to play very resource demanding games, with the eye candy turned up, then it's probably a good decision to stick to 1440p because there are really aren't any graphics cards even today that can play the most demanding games at 4k with Ultra settings. If reducing settings to achieve the desired frame rates doesn't appeal to you then go with 1440p. If you don't mind moving some sliders to the left or using a lower preset quality, then 4k shouldn't be a giant problem.

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
I probably should have posted that in my original,
I tend to care as much about frame rate as possible but I love eye candy at the same time
I do prefer to run on either high / ultra graphics for most games I play
What I play primarily varies a lot, at the moment it’s hunt showdown *somewhat competitive fps extractor*
War thunder,
I’m dabbling with other games like dark and darker
The first descendant
And I tend to play some if not most of the newer games released like avatar frontiers of Pandora and such
When it comes to games with pvp my frame rate I prefer to at least be over 120 and as smooth as possible whilst still maintaining the graphics
For games that are mostly single player or just coop I don’t mind occasional drops but would prefer without but also with high graphics

And I tend to play some if not most of the newer games released like avatar frontiers of Pandora and such
When it comes to games with pvp my frame rate I prefer to at least be over 120 and as smooth as possible whilst still maintaining the graphics
This, tells me that you probably want to stick with 1440p. If you play a lot of the newer games, many of which as you say don't have DLSS support, then I think you are going to find difficulty maintaining anywhere near that frame rate on the ones that are demanding if you're running 4k.

If you were only looking for something like 60fps at 4k, it would probably be different. 120 or higher at 4k even with a 4090 just isn't realistic for some games. Many games would be totally fine, but many will not.

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
This, tells me that you probably want to stick with 1440p. If you play a lot of the newer games, many of which as you say don't have DLSS support, then I think you are going to find difficulty maintaining anywhere near that frame rate on the ones that are demanding if you're running 4k.

If you were only looking for something like 60fps at 4k, it would probably be different. 120 or higher at 4k even with a 4090 just isn't realistic for some games. Many games would be totally fine, but many will not.
Okay makes sense to me! Do you have any suggestions for a really good 1440p monitor? I’d prefer oled to make colors feel more real if possible, at the moment I’m looking at the Alienware ones, but they either do 27” or a 34” ultrawide and I have no idea really what I’m looking for

Honestly, there are some options, but there aren't any that are going to satisfy every point you had in you criteria. And, well, that's ok really. Seems you don't really know for 200% what is is you really need anyhow. Let's talk about this more before you buy one and also maybe invite some other conversation here. The only decision that is dumb, is the one you make without enough information to at least feel like "I did my best based on what was available." Other than that, you have nothing but arrogance and hopefully, some amount of prescience.

STOP. That WAS going to be my answer but full disclosure I have some other things happening this week including, well, a bunch of stuff, so, maybe I can get back with you later in more detail and I think it would also be more helpful in several ways. One is that I'd be more focused. Two is, there are several others here still that have very good advice and it would be, always, nice for them to offer other information even if it seems to contradict anything I've said. I am, admittedly, not playing as much these days as I used to. So, I know there are some on here that do, especially on the mod or ambassador side of the fence, and they might have better information that I do. Then again, I do try to stay informed, so they may not. Never know. Never hurts for anybody to chime in though.

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
I gotcha, yeah I can’t say I’m certain on what I need to be fair
I definitely want to move to oled, - I’m not sure if ultrawide would be a good idea, I’m pretty sure 4k would look awesome! But I’m not entirely sure how performance would be without dlss / fsr to make games perform better
I’m a little lost

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
Honestly, there are some options, but there aren't any that are going to satisfy every point you had in you criteria. And, well, that's ok really. Seems you don't really know for 200% what is is you really need anyhow. Let's talk about this more before you buy one and also maybe invite some other conversation here. The only decision that is dumb, is the one you make without enough information to at least feel like "I did my best based on what was available." Other than that, you have nothing but arrogance and hopefully, some amount of prescience.

STOP. That WAS going to be my answer but full disclosure I have some other things happening this week including, well, a bunch of stuff, so, maybe I can get back with you later in more detail and I think it would also be more helpful in several ways. One is that I'd be more focused. Two is, there are several others here still that have very good advice and it would be, always, nice for them to offer other information even if it seems to contradict anything I've said. I am, admittedly, not playing as much these days as I used to. So, I know there are some on here that do, especially on the mod or ambassador side of the fence, and they might have better information that I do. Then again, I do try to stay informed, so they may not. Never know. Never hurts for anybody to chime in though.
So an update, after all I did buy the Alienware 32” 4k qd oled, with the idea of I’m not satisfied I can return it

Ok. Cool. How is that working out so far?

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner, but, you know, had some of my own "life stuff" happen and sort of had to neglect things for a minute. I certainly apologize, although, we are all volunteers here.

Dreadbeard

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2012
Ok. Cool. How is that working out so far?

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner, but, you know, had some of my own "life stuff" happen and sort of had to neglect things for a minute. I certainly apologize, although, we are all volunteers here.
No need to apologise dude! Real life will always be first priority - I’ll update tomorow as that’s when it’s due to arrive :)