Question Display Colors Dont Match

barrett.geyer

Commendable
Dec 7, 2017
Hi all - giving up on this and hoping someone here can help me.

I have a Dell M6400 laptop with a Nvidia FX3700m. Long story short I had a Samsung SyncMaster external display attached and the colors between the laptop display and Samsung external monitor would not match. An issue for me since I'm getting into graphic design.

So my IT gave me an identical Samsung monitor and I have both hooked up to my laptop via a Dell docking station. Now one of the Samsung displays is displaying the same (mismatched) colors compared to the other (identical) monitor.

I've messed around with the Windows (7 Pro) color management settings and have created custom color profiles to attempt to correct this but absolutely nothing I do works.

Initially I thought it was the laptop display causing the issue, but now having two identical monitors and one exhibiting the same colors as the laptop display, I have no idea what to do. And my IT has not been able to figure it out.

Any suggestions? Thanks

You may have "color calibration" listed in the monitor's documentation. Basically, the color settings mentioned by @rgd1101, but designed for uniform display to some standard. This is normal unless you pay a lot for a monitor which is actually advertised as being for professional graphics. In particular, most gaming monitors have poor calibration, and this is often the cost of very fast response.

For example, I have a monitor which comes with a cardboard color strip. Calibration software displays the same pattern, and you adjust monitor settings in a certain order until the monitor matches the printed strip.

barrett.geyer

Commendable
Dec 7, 2017
Ok guys, posting back now that I've really dug into this more. Let's start with specs:

Dell M6400 - Windows 7 Pro
Nvidia Quadro FX 3700m
Nvidia Control Panel Ver. 7.8.840.0

SyncMaster SA300 (S23A300B)
SyncMaster 2243 (2243BWT-TAA-1)

I've now installed both monitor Samsung drivers which include the ICC color profiles from Samsung. They still do not match. I then opened two instances of Photoshop, same image, and displayed it on each of the monitors. I then used Nvidia Control Panel to manually adjust the RGB values, Hue, and Saturation, in an attempt to brute force them to be as close as possible. This helped, but it is still not perfect. Some colors are more affected than others. For example, my blues are now pretty much spot on. However, what displays as purple on one display is displaying as a tealish color on the other.

Still not the desired output. What else can I try to do at this point?