Question Display cuts out intermittently on custom build ?

Mar 17, 2023
Current Hardware:
GPU: Zotac RTX 4080 Trinity OC
CPU: Intel I9-10900KF
MB: MSI Gaming Carbon WIFI Z590
RAM: x2 16GB Corsair Vengence Pro RGB @3200mhz
Storage: x2 Samsung 970 EVO Plus (500gb/1TB), x1 870 EVO 1TB
PSU: Corsair RM 850X Plus Corsairs custom cord for 40 series cards
Display: Samsung G70A 27'' 4k 144hz

The issue in question:
The display cuts out intermittently, occasionally entirely, until the PC is forced off and turned back on. The screen goes black and will sometimes show a display mode reset(DisplayPort, upper left corner) occasionally, the screen will just simply go to sleep after a few seconds. Sometimes, hitting the Windows key will "wake the display" again, and sometimes nothing happens until it's forced off via the power button. The issue is sort of random when it happens, some days it only happens once, and others it's like watching a flashlight go off and on all day. I get it when starting up a game (regardless of CPU or GPU-bound games), using any kind of Adobe photo editor, and launching system applications downloaded via Windows Store such as Tidal or even Edge.

Solutions Attempted:
  • Restart the computer
  • purge display drivers via DDU
  • using different GPUs
  • trying different displays
  • using cmd to repair corrupted registry
  • reseating all hardware in the system(that was painful)
  • making sure every driver in existence for this system was up to date and/or reinstalled

Conclusion:
My system is screwed and I don't know how to fix it. I have been dealing with this issue for the better part of 6 months and have tried everything save for asking for help or repair stores. So here I am, I need help to fix this wholly annoying and downright preventative of PC usage hurting productivity and gaming, issue I am having and I can't figure this out by myself. Any help is greatly appreciated.

I suspect either PSU or monitor. Have you tried connecting a different computer/game console/laptop to the monitor? If you have and the shutting off hasn't occurred, then it is likely that your PSU isn't supplying enough power to the GPU.