[SOLVED] Display doesn't light up properly - ASUS PG279Q backlight replacement?

Oct 20, 2019
Hello there,

I've recently aquired a used monitor Asus pg279q. It's almost in a great shape. It's out of warranty but the previous owner agreed to take the monitor back (I had him sign a contract that he would take back the monitor if it had any hidden defects.) Now, the problem that I have is that the first time I plugged it in (2 days ago) after cca 10 minutes only about a 1 third of the screen was lit. I tried playing with the settings both on the monitor and in Windows and changing the resolution actually helped. I guess magic. (maybe the actual refresh of the screen helps when you change the resolution) The monitor continued to work well but then the next day it went dim again. And changing the resolution would only work for like a second when it would light up as it's supposed to and then dim again. I tried it like a dozen times changing resolution and Hz with 1920x1080 setting it right. After 10 minutes I set it back to the full resolution - 2560x1440 144Hz and since then it works just fine with no hiccups. New monitor in my country costs 800usd and I bought this one for 250usd which is an excellent deal in my mind for a working monitor of this caliber.

Now what to do? Is it a big technical problem meaning that it's gonna come back and only get worse? Can you help me understand what might cause the problem? Should I simply get rid of it ASAP? Or is it a cheap fix?
I have up until next week to return the monitor.

For connection I only used DisplayPort. There were no new drivers installed since plugging this monitor in. Everything is the same.
I have an EVGA 1060 6GB ssc,

Any help would be appreciated :)
Thank you

Click here to see the monitor: Photo of the monitor

Solution
led is just led, there is difference in colors, its usage (outdoor/indoor), brightness, so on and so fort
shouldnt really matter if its cheap or not, led will eventually die, usualy around 2 years on 24/7 daily use

here some industrial stuff if ure worried about cheap leds
Oct 20, 2019
It's that easy? :D Yes, so far this is the only problem I came across.
Those LEDs that you linked are used generally or is there also a some kind of quality difference between other brands and stuff? Seems weird to put inside these cheap lights (I am not saying that cheap is bad) I am not that good with LEDs but I've got some really cheap ones put around my desk and some higher quality with magnets inside my pc case and those cheap ones I've got on my desk - several are dead.

led is just led, there is difference in colors, its usage (outdoor/indoor), brightness, so on and so fort
shouldnt really matter if its cheap or not, led will eventually die, usualy around 2 years on 24/7 daily use

here some industrial stuff if ure worried about cheap leds

Solution