Display doesn't work.

Jason21715

Honorable
Mar 8, 2017
So my monitor stopped working for some reasons, "no signal" pc powers on. So I decided to get a new cpu, gpu, mobo and monitor. This new monitor works but the old one still gets no signal. I replaced and tested pretty much the whole computer and all the steps in guides and still no luck. Is it just my monitor's fault? I can see the screen power on but it never gets signal. I also changed difference display cables.

jr9

Estimable
If the display doesn't work on another PC then yes I would say the display is probably the issue. It's best to try a display on another PC first to determine if it's the problem before you start replacing parts.

Jason21715

Honorable
Mar 8, 2017

I got a brand new computer and the monitor doesn't work from old or new. What could've broken it though. All I did before was place an i5 6600k into my computer and it didn't work unless i destroyed something while building it. My new monitor works so is fine i guess. I would just like to have 2 monitors

jr9

Estimable
Sometimes electronics just stop working for no reason. Could be a HDMI or DVI cable loose connection also, sometimes cables pull down on the port at either the monitor or PC end and break the connection inside the port. Holding the cable straight sometimes helps or jiggling it around to see if you can a connection to a running PC.

If the source on the display isn't set right or not on auto it could cause issues. Making sure the display is set the right mode (DVI or HDMI) is important.

If it's an older VGA display or you are using an adapter the issue could lie there.

Jason21715

Honorable
Mar 8, 2017

My monitor is on auto for choosing video source. I tried changing cables and jiggling it, it didn't work. I think is just the monitor that doesn't work

jr9

Estimable
I think so as well unless you want to try it on a 3rd PC to be very sure. It should simply work though if it's on auto and everything is plugged in and the cables are good. Try manually setting the source to the one you are using like HDMI or DVI.

Jason21715

Honorable
Mar 8, 2017

How do I manually set it? I have 2 monitors and this new monitor works so i dont think i need to test another monitor. I dont think i have the buttons under my monitor that changes the source. But there are 4 buttons and I dont know what they do

SundownEditing

Commendable
Jan 28, 2017
If the newer monitor works and the older one just stays on "no signal", it's best to assume it's the monitor's fault. But if I were you, I'd try a friend's computer to test if it works out or not. Also, I suggest you try unplugging your graphics card and plugging in your HDMI via motherboard (that is, of course, if you're using HDMI rather than DVI. Completely ignore this if that's the case) and see what the result of that is.

Jason21715

Honorable
Mar 8, 2017

I tried plugging it in motherboard, same thing no signal. I think is just my monitor