[SOLVED] "Display driver has crashed and recovered" issue ?

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Hello

I´ve been having the infamous "Display driver has crashed and recovered" but i can´t seem to figure the exact cause
It doesn´t crash when playing all games ( i play siege with unlocked frames and it never crashed) but when playing Dofus ( the game is terribly unoptimized and uses a weird API that is flash with opengl) , my gpu sometimes crashes and recovers

It is not a BSOD , monitor goes black and then the gpu recovers with the game crashed(Dofus)
But the weird thing is that it will never crash if i let windows install the gpu driver after a clean install but after installing the latest driver ( or just another newer driver) it will start crashing

Another weird thing that i´ve seen more crashes in the event viewer than it actually crashed
It crashed once since i´ve started doing some testing but in the event viewer it shows 3 display driver crashes
Is it possible to crash and recover without i actually seeing it?

My brother also has sometimes the same issue as we play the same game but his PC restarts with the same tdr error as mine ( my gpu crashes and recovers while his pc auto restarts)
I have a 1060 6gb and he owns a 5500xt 4gb

I´ve already tested both computers CPU , RAM and HDD and they don´t show any issues
My 1060 is 2 years old and never crashed before and his 5500xt is 6 months old

Could it really be the game that is causing it?

I´ve ran countless benchmarks(aida , heaven , 3dmark) and it also never crashed at all
But i´m not sure now
Is it really the game or my gpu is busted?
Is there some benchmark that can assure that the gpu is working 100%?
I know flash is old and stuff but i can´t really change the game

I´ve tried capturing dumps but they only shows as a "warning" in event viewer and i can´t read the dumps
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/ans...pplication-crash-or-tdr-dump-files-on-windows
Does this link work for reading the dumps?
I use whocrashed to read dumps

I also have to add that my house sometimes runs out of energy( not a problem in the house , just runs out of energy) and i don´t know if this could cause the driver crashing while i´m not seeing that i´ve mentioned above

Sorry for the long post but idk what else to do

Thank you

Solution
It crashed once since i´ve started doing some testing but in the event viewer it shows 3 display driver crashes
yes

gpu driver can crash up to 8 times before PC swaps to the basic display adapter driver which can't run the screen at settings most people use and turns monitor off

if you not bsod its always possible cause isn't the gpu itself, and its just showing the symptoms. I had a period of 6 months starting Oct 2018 where my monitor would just turn off randomly

What does Reliability History look like on the days your monitor crashed?
this was mine on one week, report is 1st day

QWVNq1x.jpg

RR7dsKY.jpg

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
what is your full system specs?
CPU I5 9400F
16GB RAM CRUCIAL (two different sticks but tested with memtest without errors , passed all 20 tests)
PSU : PICHAU NIDUS 500W
MB:ASUS TUF B360 GAMING PLUS BR
HD : WESTERN BLUE ( also tested and no errors)
GPU: 1060 6GB GALAX

It is weird that the game sometimes put a heavy load on both cpu and gpu ( it is not demanding but extremely unoptimized)

Thank you

Jul 15, 2021
its something to do with nvidia or the newest windows update. im in the same boat as you. unfortunately we just need to wait for them to fix it i guess, ive been trying to look for a solution for the past few days and cant come up with anything

InvalidError

Titan
Drivers reload whenever they encounter a non-fatal unexpected error and those errors can be trigger by almost every reason in existence from noisy PSU causing internal GPU errors to CPU/GPU/RAM hardware fault.

The simplest way to eliminate the most variables quickly would be to try the GPU in a different system and see if the drivers crash there too.

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Drivers reload whenever they encounter a non-fatal unexpected error and those errors can be trigger by almost every reason in existence from noisy PSU causing internal GPU errors to CPU/GPU/RAM hardware fault.

The simplest way to eliminate the most variables quickly would be to try the GPU in a different system and see if the drivers crash there too.
Is there some sort of software or benchmark that i should run?
I have my brother ´s PC ( which reproduces the same issue with his gpu ) but i´m not experienced in changing hardware

Thank you

Colif

Win 11 Master
yes

gpu driver can crash up to 8 times before PC swaps to the basic display adapter driver which can't run the screen at settings most people use and turns monitor off

if you not bsod its always possible cause isn't the gpu itself, and its just showing the symptoms. I had a period of 6 months starting Oct 2018 where my monitor would just turn off randomly

QWVNq1x.jpg

RR7dsKY.jpg

My problem ended up being caused by my mouse. USB & PCI e are both controlled by the same controller chip so if any USB device is old or dying, it can make other PCI devices play up. Do you have any old USB devices that could be cause?

Solution

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
yes

QWVNq1x.jpg

RR7dsKY.jpg

My problem ended up being caused by my mouse. USB & PCI e are both controlled by the same controller chip so if any USB device is old or dying, it can make other PCI devices play up. Do you have any old USB devices that could be cause?

I don´t have the events anymore since i´ve formatted my PC
But it is hard to troubleshoot since it just shows as a warning and i don´t know how to read "warnings"
In my brother´s PC i´ve used whocrashed software and it was possible to read critical events but still not possible to read warnings ( since my gpu only crashes with a warning , no critical events)
Is there a way to read warnings in windows?
But it is weird , it only crashed when dofus was running , nothing ever showed this behavior before and still doesn´t crash in siege or heavy benchmarks for example
It would crash everywhere if the issue really is the hardware right?

Thanks

Colif

Win 11 Master
If it still happens, it might show in reliability history screen as it shows the same events there that also show in event viewer

so this game? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dofus
wouldn't expect it to cause errors

Do you use WIFI or Ethernet?
if its Ethernet (cable) then try running this and see if it finds any new LAN drivers - https://www.intel.com.au/content/www/au/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html
If WIFI, what USB dongle is it?

just guessing based on game being online and WIFI dongles being USB

mat1995

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Yes that is the game
My pc is a desktop and i use a wired connection
I´ve never had crashes before , they only started when i came back to the game
The only usb devices that i have are my mice and kb and they are working well
I remember one thing in common across the 2 computers , we updated our display drivers while the game was running( it was automatic due to windows update)
Then the game will start crashing and only a fresh install could solve the issue
DDU wouldn´t work
Since i fresh installed windows ( by day 13 if i remember correctly) it didn´t crash anymore and i´ve updated to the latest driver
Today i also tested the metro last light benchmark at highest settings and 4k as well as heaven and both ran well
Games also never crashed( i have 1k hours in siege and never got this issue while playing siege)
I´m not so sure now if there is something with the gpu or the game
The game uses flash so idk if these GPUs fully support it since it is old and discontinued
The game due to being unoptimized can consume up to 10gb ram as well as 100% cpu and gpu sometimes(spikes)
Not even more demanding games will consume this on my PC
Thank you