Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered-Over and over.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

affliictiion

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
Display driver has stopped responding and has recovered. Need help with this problem. In every game except counterstrike, the game will checker all over my screen with purple/multi colored checkers, then the game will freeze, turn black for about 10 seconds, then come back, and keep repeating till i get frustrated and just exit... i cannot play any games except cs withou this problem occurring many a time. Tried multiple system re formats. Tried many different/up to date display AND mainboard drivers, as well as tried playing games in and out of sli mode, with restart. Cooling is NOT an issue, plenty of fans n temps are fine. Here are my system specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Processor overclocked @ 3.0 ghz (fsb @ 1333) w/zalman aftermarket cooling fan
evga nforce n75oi sli ftw mainboard
4x 1 GB ocz ram dual channel
seagate 160 gb 7200 rpm hdd w/serial ata connect
2x geforce 9800 gt (pci express x16) ...can the sli bridge on top of the cards be installed backwards? jw...
microsoft windows vista home premium 32 bit with ALL updates for all hardware SP2+

Partyslammer

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Memtest shows no errors. I wiped the HD and did a fresh install of Windows Vista with no positive results - can't even boot up unless I disable the NVIDEA driver or run in safe mode. A friend of mine has the CPU and is running some diagnostics on it over the weekend.

Interestingly, I'm now starting to have very similar blue screen crashes on my Toshiba A355D laptop hooked up to the same HP 2408 monitor. Error message indicates the ATI driver ceases working. Logically, my assumption is the monitor is somehow the problem, but I have no way to figure that out.

Partyslammer

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
So I finally pin pointed the problem with my pc crashing was the NVidea (ASUS) GeForce 8400 GS graphics card dying. I have a spare low end ATI card in it now with no problems. Problem is, I want to upgrade to a comparable or hopefully better performing card to the 8400 but my pc's power is 300 watts and most decent video cards use upwards of 450 - 500 watts. I don't know if I want to replace the power supply, and I'm not sure what kind of card I can use under the following limitations/specs that's better than my 8400:

NVidea GeForce 8400 GS - pci express x16 low profile slot
DDR2, Memory clock 600MHz, 512MB Ram, 15 pin VGA and DVI-D output

Any recommendations that will top those specs and work in my tower? Preferably ATI (I'd like to try something other than NVidea)?

beauchee

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
My friend with the gtx 280 doesn't have the issue no more (well not for the pass week) but the sad part is that he didn't update anything at all, he didn't update video drivers, didn't change any hardware...nothing...the ghost within is computer just went away...no more display driver stopped for him...just me now with my 5850...

G

Hi all,

For a year or more now, my desktop PC has had this problem. Upon boot and start of Windows (Vista), I get a popup about my graphics card driver nvlddmkm.sys stopped responding or had a fatal error, and has restarted. This happens over and over and over, making doing anything on the machine virtually impossible. I've just been using my laptop ever since, but I'd like to fix this somehow so I can set up a home office.

I googled the error and found so many results. It's like this problem is so rampant that there's so much info out there, I don't even know where to look. There's even a http://www.nvlddmkm.com/ with no consensus on a fix, just basically people posting their own individual fixes. It's like a case of so much information, you don't know which is the one to go with.

The one google result link I did click led me here. I read the third post from daedalus685, who said that this is a result of the graphics card crashing altogether, although it also might be possible there's something wrong with the motherboard, but more likely the graphics card needs replacing.

So do I just need a new graphics card? If so, what graphics card should I get (see below) - an exact replacement or something I could upgrade to at the same time? Or can it be fixed a different way?

Here are my PC details (model numbers on the parts I found):
Motherboard: GA-8N-SLI (it's a dual graphics card board, I only have one plugged in though. It is in the one labeled "Normal Mode" and not the "SLI Mode" slot.)
Graphics port: GC-SLISW-C19 (this is written between the two graphics card slots).
Graphics card in use: e-GeForce 7300GT 512Mb DDR

Thank you for any information you can provide!

beauchee

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
You might have to trouble shoot yourself by call nvidia and or microsoft windows since this is most likely the cause of all this. In other words this could be so manythings from hardware to software...to see if its hardware i would suggest to do a slow format on that hard drive and reinstall windows from scratch (if you don't mind losing all your data... if not then do a back up first) After a fresh intall if you are still getting that error it would strongly indicate a hardware issue and that would be hard to know if its your videocard (most likely) or maybe your motherboard and or powersupply (that might give up anytime). To get another 7300 or something like it (even if new like a 210 from nvidia or a 5350 from ati) would be cheap (like 50$)
Other then that good luck since i've read alot and no one has the same way to fix the same problem...so sad.
Good luck.

btw i manage to get ride of that issue by formatting my hard drive (i didn't have to replace any hardware).

G

I had the same problem with my GT220 card. The problem was being caused by Internet Explorer.

I installed Google Chrome as my web browser and the problem disappeared.

beauchee

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
TY Zobdonkle that would make perfect sense for my friend (witch it only happen while browsing) and for me with eyefinity it`s probably something complety different.

Still your answer about the web browser makes lots of sense !

scotsilv

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Hi all,

For a year or more now, my desktop PC has had this problem. Upon boot and start of Windows (Vista), I get a popup about my graphics card driver nvlddmkm.sys stopped responding or had a fatal error, and has restarted. This happens over and over and over, making doing anything on the machine virtually impossible. I've just been using my laptop ever since, but I'd like to fix this somehow so I can set up a home office.

I googled the error and found so many results. It's like this problem is so rampant that there's so much info out there, I don't even know where to look. There's even a http://www.nvlddmkm.com/ with no consensus on a fix, just basically people posting their own individual fixes. It's like a case of so much information, you don't know which is the one to go with.

In fact, I think this is a software problem that Microsoft and the video card makers don't want to own up to. There is not that much bad hardware out there to cause such a rampant array of messages.

A class action lawsuit may be required to get this problem solved. The IT vendors are selling known defective products en masse.

Ankomar

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2009
I hope I'm not reviving a dead thread but I just accidentally stumbled upon it. I'm having the same issue with my mobilty radeon 3650. I get screen corruption with colourful squares and then the message "atikmdag.sys has stopped responding and successfully recovered" pops out. I'm using win 7 32-bit, but the same thing happened on 32 bit Vista.

It never happened when I was playing games. Only when I was surfing in Chrome or Internet explorer (didnt test other browsers), and when I'm reading pdfs in adobe reader or working in autodesk 3ds max or autocad.

And it happens very random sometimes no problem for 10 days and sometime I get 3 errors in one day and I still haven't discovered whats the problem.
Memtest and scandisk didnt return any error and temperatures are also OK so if someone comes up with a solution please share it.

dolsiman

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
Earlier in the morning I had problems installing win7, now I have this NVidia windows kernal mode driver playing up. I do not think it's the hardware as I dual boot and no problems with XP. Once I get this fault the system hangs at "Starting windows" and the four stoopid flying squares just stops. At wits end what to do. No wonder a lot of people are upset with MS.

dolsiman

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2010
Just to add a ittle more. This last episode started when I tried to install a canon bubblejet printer. Not loading the cpu playing games or even multi tasking. what a load of c.!!!p. Bought a 3 license pack and 2 more licenses to go..

GunnerG

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
This is clearly a Microsoft problem.

If you Google all the "video stopped responding errors and has recovered" you will see one underlying theme...Microsoft software.

I have read where every kind of laptop and desktop model with both ATI & Nvidia standalone cards and integrated chipsets (even some Intel GPU's) are having this problem.

I have read of people with this problem in Vista, Win 7 (32 bit & 64 bit versions) and even in XP from over 2 years ago.

There are no fixes even though people post that they have fixed their problem, they have not....they have just worked around the issue.

The work-arounds all involve lowering resolution, features (disabling Aero/Flash/3D games), installing older/newer drivers, replacing one video card for another and even reformatting and reinstalling op systems.

I have seen where someone in a forum posted that they replaced their ATI card with an Nvidia card and their problem was solved. Two posts below theirs was someone else posting the EXACT opposite.

It is ridiculous.
What works for one person doesn't always work for another.

Microsoft has to research this and determine the universal cause.

If the flashing screen and popup saying it has "recovered the error" is the best they can do, they at least need to make it work quicker, quitely and silently in the background.

G

My system: Q9550, 4gb ddr2 1066, DFI MB, GTX280oc....

After I added new ram I began to experience this inraging problem. My conclusion, is maybe it is an Intel Chipset problem. Seems like everyone having this problem is running an Intel CPU. I can usually play games with no problems, but Video playback is give or take. Also, I did notice that with one piece of OCZ 1066 ram in, the screen will "tear" and "pixel out" even on BIOs bootup. I am pretty much at wits end.

G

Hello! I`m having the same problem here but only when i`m playing Bioshock (1). I`m running Windows 7 32 bit on AMD CPU. I`ve read somewhere on the internet that this is caused by a specific microsoft update and come to think of it I`ve updated my windows a couple of days ago for the first time ever since I installed this version. Then I installed Bioshock and played for a day without any problems and after the second day the game started crashing and the annoyng msg started showinng up. I play a lot of games and nothing like this ever happend before this update. Do any of you recall updating your windows before the problem started showing up?

handbooklive

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
My problems got worse after I installed Adobe CS5 Production premium, which is supposed to work seamlessly with my card NVIDIA Quatro FX 3800. I used to have problems occasionally with display driver "stopped responding and recovered" while moving folders on the screen, and sometimes when doing video editing. Disabling Windows Aero effects never helped. But now with CS5 I cannot even open Photoshop and do something simple, like select an area of an image. Not only the driver crashes but it now brings the whole Adobe software down with it. And the problem seem to start and spread only after 1 day of using the Adobe CS5. At the beginning it seemed like the "stopped and recovered" problem was no worse than before. Now it is a total nightmare.
Intel i7, RAID5, Caviar Black hard drives, 6G of DDR-3 RAM, NVIDIA Quatro FX 3800

witcherx

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
DANG!

I got this problem now!
It started appearing 2 weeks ago. Before that I never had this problem.
I had started playing Dragon Age origins:Awakening.
The game startsup, I play little, sometimes when all the spells are going around the game would shut down.
I thought it must be a bug with the Expansion. It kept happening randomly every 15-20 minutes in the game
I kept on playing till the end where I had to kill the "Mother" boss.
This bug screwed my end game I was just not able to kill her. Just When the fight starts up all the spells go on her the game hangs and shuts down.
Kept trying trying till 30 mins.
Solution: I dint use any spells, got the 2 characters to die. Fought all the damn creatures and the boss one to many.
My warrior killed one each at a time, i must have consumed a 100 health potions.

Then I went on to other game Assassins creed, and same story.
The same glitch started appearing in all the games even in my beloved NFS most wanted.

Problem is there in both XP and Windows 7.

Do you think my GPU is dying out. Coz its been 2 years with my gpu and this never happened before.
Have tried everying.

1. Clean install
2. TDR reg settings
3. Removing DDR mem from 1 slot.
4. Bios update.
5. Underclocking/Overclocking

:cry:
Should I get another GPU??

princjj

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
It's your OZC ram. The stuff is terrible. Doesn't run at advertised speeds. You can test it with a memtest CD. Almost all linux live distros have it as a choice in the boot menu.

Buy new ram and the problem will go away. I recommend corsair or gskill.

Xclio

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010
RAM is the problem! And Princjj is spot on with OCZ. My system cpu q9550 280GTX 4x2G OCZ, this problem started after I installed my last 4gb OCZ in late Feburary '10. For months I have been experiencing "screen tears","pixelating" and "bsod". Now in late July, the problem has gotten so bad, that only one stick will work 50% of the time. OCZ Reaper 1066 is total garbage.

So please, will anyone with this "GPU stopped responding" issue. Remove all but one stick of ram, and test your system.

handbooklive

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
Someone suggested installing a different card, then re-installing the original. Didn't work for me. ended up switching from Quadro FX3800 to GeForce GTX480. SO far so good. Anyone wants my FX3800 card? :)

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I have a Sapphire 5850, Intel E8400 CPU. 4 gigs ram. And I also am getting this stupid error. My problem started a week ago. I installed the new Catalyst 10.7 driver. Then I had a "display driver stopped responding" followed by BSOD and the system rebooting to recover. But, having my system for about 2 years now and never had this issue before. I had my card for about 4 months now. aHad a nvidia 9800 GTX before that and don't think I had this issue. Games run fine. But this happens when there is a streaming video. Which is also wierd.

M4thijs

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
I have a Sapphire 5870, AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition, Geil Black Dragon 4GB and a Seasonic M12D 850W. I have exactly the same problem...
The only thing that worked for me is playing in windowed mode on max resolution. When I put my resolution lower it crashes instantly, when I go full screen it also crashes within a minute.

I hope this help :ange:

G

I think I am having the same problem. It happens a lot in WoW and WaR, where I will get crazy artifact and graphical glitches. With those I can just alt-tab, and when I come back they are gone.

Other games, Civ IV, Empire: Total War, AvP, and now SC2, the graphics just go crazy and locks up.

http://picasaweb.google.com/TheMav80/AvPGlitch#5443101105706825202

That is from AvP, but it looks pretty much the same for all the others.

I'm running XP
Intel Core Duo 2.66
2GB RAM

and just put in a GeForce 9800.

The weird thing is that some games work fine. I can play Bad Company 2 all day long with no problems, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.