Display driver stopped responding and has recovered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoang Tan

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014
I have bought a new PC for myself. But after a day playing games, I get this error. And it happened even more since that day. I tried everything I read on tom's HARDWARE like change registry, update driver graphic card, driver chipset, everything. My uncle said the PSU is not enough for my graphic card. Then I set GPU clock from 1100 Mhz to 300 Mhz, Memory clock when high performance from 1450 Mhz to 500 Mhz.Then the error didn't happen offen. But it's still appear and I don't know why.
My graphic card: ATI Radeon R9 270x
PSU: Corsair VS550

Solution
Disable your integrated graphics card through BIOS setup. (MUST)

Your PSU has a good build quality and commendable ampere rating in +12V rail. Hence, I believe there will be no issues with the power supply.

And please, do not underclock the graphics card. Restore factory defaults with the help of Catalyst Control Center. (Install Ver. 14.7 BETA)

Edit:Remember to uninstall the current display driver with the help of DISPLAY DRIVER UNINSTALLER

http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

Download and install the application. I use it and believe me, it works fantastic.
Note: Will work better only in safe mode. Don't forget to check the box "Remove C:\AMD directory" while uninstalling the driver. To go to safe mode, tap F8 while booting...

Hoang Tan

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

I've tried it already. It doesn't work :( Any idea ?

Disable your integrated graphics card through BIOS setup. (MUST)

Your PSU has a good build quality and commendable ampere rating in +12V rail. Hence, I believe there will be no issues with the power supply.

And please, do not underclock the graphics card. Restore factory defaults with the help of Catalyst Control Center. (Install Ver. 14.7 BETA)

Edit:Remember to uninstall the current display driver with the help of DISPLAY DRIVER UNINSTALLER

http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/

Download and install the application. I use it and believe me, it works fantastic.
Note: Will work better only in safe mode. Don't forget to check the box "Remove C:\AMD directory" while uninstalling the driver. To go to safe mode, tap F8 while booting and select 'Safe Mode'.

After this, download the latest driver from here: http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/latest-catalyst-windows-beta.aspx

Solution

Hoang Tan

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

"Disable your integrated graphics card through BIOS setup". How can I do that ?
I install the display driver version 14.7 Beta when I reinstalled Windows and still using it
Btw, I've changed my screen resolution to 1280x768 (recommended at 1440x900), GPU still 300 Mhz, Memory clock 500 Mhz, and I set power limit 20% in the tab Overdrive. So far, still see the error. But when I changed my game resolution to the same desktop resolution, and quality's game is Medium, I don't see the error.
But I still think underclock the graphics card isn't good for me :(
*Mainboard: Gigabyte B85M D3V

For disabling the onboard graphics in your motherboard, find something like INTEL PROCESSOR GRAPHICS in "Peripherals" tab on top and select DISABLED option. To enter BIOS while booting, keep tapping DEL button. And please, do not underclock the graphics card, as I quoted in my preceding post. Open Catalyst Control Centre -> Click Preferences (located at the top right of the window) -> Restore Factory Defaults.

Hoang Tan

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

Sorry but I can't find INTEL PROCESSOR GRAPHICS in that tab and I search every corner (maybe I'm missed or It's hiding somewhere I don't know) :(

Hoang Tan

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

http://

edit

It's not like the one I have here :(

Hoang Tan

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

Picture

Yeah, only R9 2xx Series
But I don't know why it keeps happen

Then, your integrated graphics card is already disabled. Now, I highly doubt on two components of your computer.

1) GPU

2) PSU

The problem must be on your PC's hardware like VRAM issue in GPU and faulty +12V rail's ampere rating in PSU. But in the meantime, did you follow my above procedure ON HOW TO UNINSTALL THE EXISTING DRIVER AND INSTALL THE NEW DRIVER? Because, this kind of error occurs even with corrupted drivers.

Hoang Tan

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

I installed and using driver version 14.7 BETA after I format system hard disk and install brand new windows.
So... I've not tried your way yet.
Should I do it now :-?

Hoang Tan

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

I'm downloading the new install setup file. I'll do it now, see ya later

And do not forget to uninstall the existing one with the help of DDU (I have mentioned above on how to use it) posted above.

Hoang Tan

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

I uninstalled with DDU in safe mode as you told me. Then it restarted, I installed driver with the latest version I'd downloaded 10 minutes ago. Then it restarted again, and it happened it the first time I opened AMD Catalyst controller to check the version. :(

I'm sorry bro. I tried my level best to help you out. These are the only things you can do (software-wise) to resolve this display driver issue.

If these don't work, it is pretty obvious the problem is on the hardware. You may need to try with some other graphics card and tell me if that works with your computer efficiently.

Hoang Tan

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

thanks for everything :(

Hoang Tan

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

Hey, Do u think the problem is my PSU VS550 ? Can it handle the VGA with 550W ? Or my graphics card ?
Cuz I bought those with the instructions on my Country's famous website for gaming gear

I don't think the problem is on the PSU. Yours have a good ampere rating in +12v rail which is necessary for gaming. First, try it out with any other graphics card before buying anything new. If another one works, then buy a new card/exchange the existing one as you've quoted that your pc is pretty much new.

Let's think in another angle now. Consider the other gpu has the same issue like this one. If that's the case, the problem is on the PSU for sure. Then, i would suggest you to buy SEASONIC 550W or 620W

Hoang Tan

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

Hey, bro. I had searching the problem on other websites. And they show me a way that I can't imagine:
"change the theme to WINDOWS BASIC" (don't use aero theme)
And yes !!! It worked for some reason :)
However, thanks for give me some advices.

Oh wow, really? But why's that so?
Try this out right away, bro.

net stop uxsms
net start uxsms

Give these commands in an elevated command prompt (start cmd in administrator mode). It makes DWM to restart and hence it may help you to use AERO THEME without crashing.

If it fails, look at this tutorial and implement it in your PC
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/windows-7-aero-is-not-working-after-restart-option/05c9c550-0312-4d95-8bdc-1edbe1fc8460

Hoang Tan

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

Everything worked fine except Dota 2. The error appeared again while I was playing Dota 2 :(
So I come back and see your new advice :) I'll try and reply you soon.

Hoang Tan

Reputable
Aug 31, 2014

It didn't work. When I was back to aero theme. I get that error again.
Got to change back to classic theme and the only one still have the problem is game Dota 2 :(
Now I feel like something stuck in my ass and can't take it out TT^TT

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS