Question Display goes out, GPU fans spin fast and CPU cooler blinks/stops spinning ?

mormoretti

Commendable
Dec 1, 2018
So yeah, not even sure where to post this, but here goes:

I'd been playing New World last week, and at first, sometimes the screen would just go black, I could still hear everything, but the GPU fans started spinning super fast, so I would force shutdown the PC.

After a while, I noticed the CPU cooler lighting was finicky and after this thing with the video started happening, sometimes the CPU cooler would not work or behave intermittantly. After a few times trying to run the game again, the PC once (just once, but still ) showed barely any function: only the RGBs would light up, but no fans spinning and definitely no video. This scenario varies a lot, but basically I can't run anything slightly GPU intensive (LoL, Overwatch) and sometimes not even keep the PC on even without any games on.

Power supply was one of the first things I considered. I ended up buying one (750w 80 plus gold), my PC actually turned on and I was even able to play for about 15 min, only for the same problem to happen again: suddenly no display, GPU fans spinning really hard.

I managed to test my GPU on my friend's system and it seems fine, I ran FurMark for about 12 minutes and even the temperatures didn't behave unexpectedly. I also tested his GPU on my system and the weird behavior remained.

Any clues what this issue might be? I don't have spare parts to test out, so I'm contacting technicians nearby so they can give me a hand.

My setup:

Ryzen 5 2600 stock
MSI B450 Tomahawk
2x8 GSkill 3.000mhz
1TB HDD
500MB NVME SSD
Some pretty lights
Corsair CX650w 80 plus bronze (and then Deepcool DQL750W 80 plus gold)

Last edited:

mormoretti

Commendable
Dec 1, 2018
PSU: make, model , wattage, age, condition?

Heavy use for gaming, video editing, or even bit-mining?

My thought is that the PSU may no longer be able to meet the power demands of the system.

Starting to falter and fail.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-manually-test-a-power-supply-with-a-multimeter-2626158

Thank you for your answer, friend.

You just reminded me I actually left out important information, which I will add to the original post, but here it is:

Power supply was one of the first things I considered. I ended up buying one (750w 80 plus gold), my PC actually turned on and I was even able to play for about 15 min, only for the same problem to happen again: suddenly no display, GPU fans spinning really hard.