[SOLVED] Display loses signal when i run a heavy game

Oct 28, 2020
Recently my pc has this strange problem that it loses display signal when i run a gpu intensive game or a stress test after, but the pc stays turned on and fans and lights are on but now static. allthough when i runa game like valorant which gets cpu to work but the gpu stays under 50 watt of consumption and no over heating is notices throughout the whole gaming ( heavy games and light games on GPU)

Specs:
Sapphire nitro RX 480
Core i5 3570
dell 660 mobo
cooler master extreme 2 525

all i know is that its not the mobo because i tested it, I put the GPU in my friends pc and it was fine. i feel heavily that its the PSU thats bad and i just needed confirmation and advice from an "expert" in this case. please also tell the reason why it can be the faulty component that you are advising to lookout for. ALso, just to put the cherry on top, the previous mobo i had was an asus H61m and it had the anti surge feature that triggered when i played games and said, "power supply surges detected. . ."

Solution
I suspect you're on the right path as this very frequently is a PSU issue.

From another PSU on this platform (the 475 one)

<blockquote>
We think it is simply ridiculous that in this day and age there are still well-known brands labeling power supplies with fake wattages. In the case of the Cooler Master Extreme 2 475 W, we can clearly see that this was done deliberately, as the product box and label list '475' without the letter 'W' or the word 'Watts' after it, probably to protect themselves in the case of an eventual lawsuit, by claiming that '475' is the 'model' of the power supply, not its wattage. However, the manufacturer's website clearly lists this unit as being a 475 W model. We are no consumer law experts, but we believe...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

<blockquote>
We think it is simply ridiculous that in this day and age there are still well-known brands labeling power supplies with fake wattages. In the case of the Cooler Master Extreme 2 475 W, we can clearly see that this was done deliberately, as the product box and label list '475' without the letter 'W' or the word 'Watts' after it, probably to protect themselves in the case of an eventual lawsuit, by claiming that '475' is the 'model' of the power supply, not its wattage. However, the manufacturer's website clearly lists this unit as being a 475 W model. We are no consumer law experts, but we believe that knowingly overstating a product feature in order to improve sales is fraud, which is a crime in the United States as well as in most other countries. </blockquote>

This PSU has the same issue in that it just has over 400W available of +12W power. It's also absolutely ancient and wasn't a great PSU when it was new. The 480/580/590 can be tough on a PSU and the symptoms you describe are consistent with a failing PSU. Given that I would be inclined to replace this under any circumstances, the fact that it's the most likely source of the issues makes replacing it first the best choice.

Solution
Oct 28, 2020

<blockquote>
We think it is simply ridiculous that in this day and age there are still well-known brands labeling power supplies with fake wattages. In the case of the Cooler Master Extreme 2 475 W, we can clearly see that this was done deliberately, as the product box and label list '475' without the letter 'W' or the word 'Watts' after it, probably to protect themselves in the case of an eventual lawsuit, by claiming that '475' is the 'model' of the power supply, not its wattage. However, the manufacturer's website clearly lists this unit as being a 475 W model. We are no consumer law experts, but we believe that knowingly overstating a product feature in order to improve sales is fraud, which is a crime in the United States as well as in most other countries. </blockquote>

This PSU has the same issue in that it just has over 400W available of +12W power. It's also absolutely ancient and wasn't a great PSU when it was new. The 480/580/590 can be tough on a PSU and the symptoms you describe are consistent with a failing PSU. Given that I would be inclined to replace this under any circumstances, the fact that it's the most likely source of the issues makes replacing it first the best choice.
Thank you for informing and clearing things up I will buy a better psu as soon as possible. Also, its just simply under powered? And i can take my time to buy a new psu if so?