Display not waking up upon sleeping

DoctorPDA

Reputable
Jul 15, 2014
Hello,

I'm new to building. Just built a new system a few weeks ago. I have an ASUS 4K monitor (PB287Q). ASUS Z97-A Motherboard. Corsair Vengeance 32 GB RAM. Intel 4790K CPU.

So, when my computer goes to sleep and my monitor goes to sleep, I am not able to wake up the monitor with the usual "moving my mouse".
-----I try to turn the monitor on and off and that doesn't wake up the monitor.
-----So, I changed my computer to "Never sleep" in the Power section and I'm still having the problem. My monitor is set to go to sleep after 15 minutes as I don't want it on all day. I cannot wake up the monitor after it turns off. It doesn't always happen, but the longer I am away, the more likely I am not able to wake up the monitor (e.g. If I'm away from the computer for a few hours, it is more likely that I won't be able to turn on the monitor).
-----The only reliable solution is to restart the computer, and then the monitor turns on, but I'll lose whatever I was working on that was on the screen.
-----The other day this happened where I couldn't wake up my monitor and I move the Display Port cord around and the monitor turned on. Unusual.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Prior to building, I read about people not being able to wake up their computer because of "Haswell" low power state and compatibility with power supplies. So I made sure I purchased a power supply with "Intel Haswell Processor Ready", which was the Seasonic 660 platinum.

Could it still be the CPU low power state? Do I need to mess with "C6/C7" bios thing? I'm not that experienced with Bios changing. However, if my computer is set to "never sleep", would this be an issue??

Was deciding whether I should return the monitor??

Thanks much for your time, very much appreciated

Solution
I was able to solve this issue. Despite calling Asus 3 times they could not figure it out – their customer service is lacking a bit.

So, I simply went to the Device Manager section in the Control Panel. There are several sections, including “Mice and other pointing devices”, “Keyboards”, but also under “Human Interface Devices”.

I right clicked on the various devices in those sections and went to “Properties”, then under “Power Management”, I unchecked “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”. I think the computer was turning off the mouse and keyboard and then I was not able to use these devices to wake up the monitor. Also, there is a check box on the same Power Management section “Allow this...

DoctorPDA

Reputable
Jul 15, 2014
I was able to solve this issue. Despite calling Asus 3 times they could not figure it out – their customer service is lacking a bit.

So, I simply went to the Device Manager section in the Control Panel. There are several sections, including “Mice and other pointing devices”, “Keyboards”, but also under “Human Interface Devices”.

I right clicked on the various devices in those sections and went to “Properties”, then under “Power Management”, I unchecked “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”. I think the computer was turning off the mouse and keyboard and then I was not able to use these devices to wake up the monitor. Also, there is a check box on the same Power Management section “Allow this device to wake the computer” and I made sure that was checked if an option.

Solution

DoctorPDA

Reputable
Jul 15, 2014
x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x .

I right clicked on the various devices in those sections and went to “Properties”, then under “Power Management”, I unchecked “Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power”. I think the computer was turning off the mouse and keyboard and then I was not able to use these devices to wake up the monitor. Also, there is a check box on the same Power Management section “Allow this device to wake the computer” and I made sure that was checked if an option.

Pramirez219

Commendable
Jun 3, 2016
I know this is an older thread but I had the same problem recently, which came just out of the blue. The computer I built was fine for months and always woke the monitor after moving the mouse when it was sleeping, and then one day it just didn't. I had to manually turn on the sleeping monitor every single time.

After trying all the solutions like checking the box for "Allow this device to wake the computer" and unchecking "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" for all human interface devices, keyboards, mice, adjusting sleep timers, nothing worked.

I happened to have an extra HDMI cable lying around and since I had tried everything else I thought why not. I swapped the cables out and it worked like it did before. I have no idea how the old cable lost the ability to transmit the 'wake from sleep' signal, but the new cable fixed it.

The_Worm

Commendable
Oct 14, 2016
I had a similar issue twin monitor setup one hdmi and one display port. When my monitors went to sleep and were woken soon after everything was fine, however if asleep for a longer period say 15mins(I didn't time anything just a rough guess) the hdmi monitor would wake while the display port monitor stayed sleepy. They are both the same or similar monitors so I knew it was software related.

I searched for a solution and on another forum I found a user with similar issues, they fixed it after a few attempts by changing ultra low power states in the registry. While I am not confident doing this, I thought id try so I set a store point then loaded regedit and searched for EnableUlps and set them all to 0 I think three listings. There was another one there EnableUlps_NA which I left alone as advised in the other forum.

I'm not sure if it worked 100% but seems to be better, they both have awoken when I've left the machine for periods of time. However while I was typing this the other monitor went sleepy(display port one) and I had to use the soft buttons to switch between hdmi and display port input to get it to awaken. I'll continue to monitor(no pun intended) the situation, I'm assuming it's some handshaking thing that's not happening to the display port.

Edit: I still have the issues so I have updated the graphics drivers again and reinstalled the DP cable both ends and instead of just using generic monitors in device manager, I have scanned them so one shows dell$%* digital and the other shows dell$%* DP fingers crossed

Dec 15, 2018
Hi
i have this problema in my cfg73 144 hz
whats the solutions ?
all day i remove the monitor from the electricity and put it back to work again
every day
Is it better to take it for the guarantee?