[SOLVED] Display output issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just Another Guy

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012
If I have DP and DVI monitors connected, my PC is unable to turn off the DP one, and instead gives it a black output signal

Nvidia customer support was a bit useless on this one, it got to the point of "try install a 2+ year old driver" and I kinda gave up. I did attempt searching for others with the issue but didn't find much info.

My primary monitor is connected with DisplayPort, and my second monitor is connected with DVI. If I hit the screen timeout limit of windows, the second monitor turns itself off, and while the primary monitor also turns off, within a second it turns on again and displays a black image indicating it's getting a signal from the GPU. If I unplug the DVI monitor, then the issue goes away.
I've used the DDU to do a fresh install of the drivers, but it hasn't made any difference, so I've just set my screen saver to run for an hour since I won't get any power savings

I wasn't sure whether to post in monitors or gpus, but I would appreciate a bit of help if anyone has any ideas, it's quite annoying.
My CPU is the Ryzen 2700x and GPU is the GTX 1070Ti. There's nothing fancy in my setup, the monitors are just plugged directly into the GPU.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of your motherboard? Check and see which BIOS version you're on at the moment. On the other side, what version of Windows 10 are you working with? While installing the latest drivers for your Nvidia card, did you install the GPU drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Does the monitor issue crop up when only on the DVI output?

Just Another Guy

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012
Make and model of your motherboard? Check and see which BIOS version you're on at the moment. On the other side, what version of Windows 10 are you working with? While installing the latest drivers for your Nvidia card, did you install the GPU drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Does the monitor issue crop up when only on the DVI output?

Motherboard is the ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING, and the BIOS is on version 4024 (I updated to the latest when I bought the parts in late 2018).
My Windows 10 version is currently on build 18363, but I've been experiencing the problem since the start of lockdown, and have updated since then.

I'll have to give the elevated driver install a try then, but I've set the PC to be a bit "light" on permissions (disabled UAC for example), so I wouldn't imagine there'd have been much issue there.

There's no way to tell if it'll happen with only DVI plugged in, as it only affects the DP output. The problem completely disappears without the DVI output though.

Just Another Guy

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2012
I retained the issue on my old monitor after buying a new DP monitor a few weeks back, so I found it was likely a monitor and not a GPU issue (absolutely no idea why it was completely fine when the GPU was only giving 1 output).

After poking around in the monitor settings, changing it from DP 1.2 to 1.1 actually did the trick. I'm not sure if this was just a coincidence, but a week or two later, the DP input completely died and wasn't detecting any signal. Sort of leads me to believe the monitor may have had some dodgy firmware or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.