[SOLVED] Display Port or HDMI for 2K Monitor?

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012
I'm going to be getting a new monitor. Is there any benefit to going with a Display Port cable vs an HDMI cable when using a 2K (2560x1440) 75Hz monitor?

Solution
Depends if monitor supports 75Hz over Hdmi, check it's spec sheet or manual. If it does then it doesn't matter which, quality is the same.

It will matter if you have an Nvidia card and want Gsync or Freesync to work, then you'll need to use DP.

Amd cards can achieve Freesync over Hdmi (only Amd), but not sure how reliable it is compared to DP. Probably safer going DP if Freesync is a thing for you.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Depends if monitor supports 75Hz over Hdmi, check it's spec sheet or manual. If it does then it doesn't matter which, quality is the same.

It will matter if you have an Nvidia card and want Gsync or Freesync to work, then you'll need to use DP.

Amd cards can achieve Freesync over Hdmi (only Amd), but not sure how reliable it is compared to DP. Probably safer going DP if Freesync is a thing for you.

Solution

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2012

OK, thanks. I'll pick up a DP cable. I'll be using an Nvidia card (RTX 2070).
Btw, is there any way to tell if the v. refresh rate is actually at 75Hz instead of, say... 60 Hz?

boju

Titan
Ambassador