Question Display Recommendation Request

MarsColonist

Commendable
Jan 9, 2021
I'm shopping around for a large 4K display to use with a computer. Attributes I'd like the display to have:
*4K resolution minimum
*Curved, if possible
*Very large screen size (32" minimum, hopefully much larger... ideally sized more like an HDTV... maybe like 40" to 60")
*Price tag ~$500 or less
*Needs to be able to handle some occasional light glare from a nearby window with grace (some screen types are better for this situation, right?)

Don't care about refresh rate.

Looking for product suggestions and recommendations.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Size of your panel? You also state shopping around for panels(plural) is the budget mentioned above for one or more panels? As for your glare, you should look into matte finished panels. You also left out the connectivity options for both the panel and your display output device.

MarsColonist

Commendable
Jan 9, 2021
Size of your panel? You also state shopping around for panels(plural) is the budget mentioned above for one or more panels? [...] You also left out the connectivity options for both the panel and your display output device.

The budget mentioned is for a single display. I apologize for the miscommunication.

Connectivity options... not really something I considered. If there is incompatibility I could just get an adapter cable that probably wouldn't cost much, right?

May I please have you rephrase the question about the size of the panel?

"Very large" is how many inches minimum?

I was hoping for something like 40" to 60" like a typical big HDTV, but I have had difficulty finding computer monitors that are that large which also have a curve. The largest curved computer monitors I've found were 32" (assuming we aren't considering ultrawides), so that seems like a reasonable choice for minimum size.

MarsColonist

Commendable
Jan 9, 2021
There are adapters, but I'm not sure they will always work well. I'd try to get a monitor whose connectors matched whatever was available on my motherboard or graphic card without relying on an adapter.

Okay, well the current PC uses HDMI but I don't expect to be using it for much longer anyway and will probably soon be moving to one with Display Port. So that's why I felt inclined to rely on some kind of adapter cable for the moment... because I don't want the HDMI to limit my options if relying on the adapter can be a decent solution.

Lutfij

Titan
I opt out of getting adapters, in the hopes of working with a native connection to the panel from your source, i.e, DP to DP or HDMI to HDMI, not HDMI to adapter to cable then to input. Helps alleviate any more troubleshooting if things go South with a newly purchased monitor. If you will, make and model of your motherboard(if you're planning to work off of iGPU) and/or discrete GPU.

Size of panel = the available physical(not digital real estate), that is 32" or higher. That question was rephrased by the other user providing assistance.

Just to be sure, you're located in U.S.A, correct? That aids in our hunt for panels/suggestions.

I haven't kept up. There may be monitors that have both Display Port and HDMI. I know a lot of motherboards have both connectors.

I think there are versions of each (1.4, 2.0, etc) and you may need a new cable to be fully compatible with the latest version.

Adapters are pretty cheap, so you may be able to get by with one, but I've never used them.