Display refusing to have black side bars in a 4:3 game.

B r a n d o n

Reputable
Nov 12, 2015
Hello. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this.

I have a GTX 970 and Windows 10, and I am trying to play a game with a resolution of 640X480 on my 16:9 TV.

When I had windows 7 with a GTX 770 then later this same 970, I would go into the NVIDIA control panel, select adjust desktop size and position, and enable aspect ratio scaling.

This would create nice black bars on the sides that kept the game from being stretched, and it also stopped the game from "sticking off" the edges of this screen(TVs can be weird).

Now with this new PC that has windows 10, aspect ratio scaling does nothing. 4:3 games look incredibly stretched, and in this game I am trying to play my health and energy bar are obscured by the edges of my TV because I can't enable the black bars.

Is there a way I can toggle force aspect ratio for all games? I wish to make older games fit perfectly on my TV as they did before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

check the tv adjustments like SCREEN SIZE – This feature changes the various aspects of the TV’s
video. (Normal, Wide, Cinema, Zoom, FULL 100% stretch- dot to dot - normal- ] 4:3 set to stretch or something what ever your tv will do will fill the screen [stretch 4:3 to fit 16:9 ]

B r a n d o n

Reputable
Nov 12, 2015

Thanks for the reply. The only option this TV has is an aspect ratio option(16:9, Just Scan, Set By Program, 4:3, Zoom, Cinema Zoom 1), but this just "squishes" the horizontal pixels together causing artifacts, and my health bar is still obscured. It does not fit the screen the same as aspect ratio scaling from the NVIDIA control panel did on my windows 7 PC. Why does NVIDIA control panel aspect ratio scaling do nothing? is it a bug?

B r a n d o n

Reputable
Nov 12, 2015

I would assume that it is the TV, but I don't think so because I used this TV as my monitor with my old Windows 7 PC and I had no issue turning on the black bars through the NVIDIA control panel. It worked perfectly. I am thinking it is either a new NVIDIA driver with issues or Windows 10.

Here is a picture of my settings. This worked perfectly before.

well just looking at things like this as well ??

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/games_windows_10/windows-10-full-screen-aspect-ratio-43-problem/a4a5f24e-6bdd-46da-81b1-af50d8fe377f?auth=1

https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/34lets/cant_play_43_stretched_in_windows_10/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/730/discussions/0/541906989410211941/

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1236887-windows-10-aspect-ratio-issues/

maybe just that wonderful windows 10 helping you out ?? that 10 seems nothing but a joke I guess it does as it wants not as you want ??

B r a n d o n

Reputable
Nov 12, 2015
I read that using scaling on the GPU instead of display will allow you to use aspect ratio scaling, but I have no option to perform scaling on the GPU. Only display. Has anyone seen this before?

nogpu.png

cant say ? we know NVidia had windows 10 issues you see from the links above that others using 10 are getting near the same issue as you even with amd cards ? so its easy to see its a 10 thing as you even said you had no issue using 7 and could easily adjust things out ...

now look at stuff on the web like from places like I linked above and see if one may of reported a workaround [seemed like one of them above did weather it will work out or not ??]

thing is win-10 is just a true piece of work and leaves a lot to be desired overall maybe they will release a win-10 sp1 that does major fixes down the road ??

google search '' windows 10 4:3 scaling '' and start reading up

Apr 25, 2019
Same problem here since I upgraded to windows 10... a 21:9 aspect ratio won't be displayed literally no aspect ratio in games anymore after windows 10 only forcing stretched resolution no matter what I have tried everything...