[SOLVED] Display screen automatically switching to the TV when it's powered on.

wwaaacs5

Commendable
Oct 19, 2018
i just upgraded to a new TV, before when I turned on my TV it would automatically switch to the TV and back to my monitor upstairs when i powered off the TV, was very handy. It's no longer doing this. I don't have a lot of exp with multi-screen setups. but I thought id just need to change the primary display to be the TV, but that option is greyed out. tried doing it with the Nvidia control panel, but once the screen powered off, the monitors go back to the primary display and does not return to the TV when powered on, id like to not need to go up two flights of stairs each time I want to spawn it. is there just a setting I'm missing?

Solution
PC -----DP -------->Monitor (upstairs) shows PC screen

and

-------HDMI -----> New TV (downstairs) shows second screen per WIN + P being in Extend Mode

The old TV would show the second screen when turned on.

The new TV requires you to go upstairs and change (via WIN+P) to ??? (Second screen only if my understanding is correct)

In the Nvidia Control Panel which display (monitor or TV) is Display 1 and which is Display 2?

Not sure what the problem may be but I am not sure that I understand the configuration.

Just one monitor upstairs correct?

wwaaacs5

Commendable
Oct 19, 2018
Check "WIN" + "P"

What "Project" configuration:

PC screen only
Duplicate
Extend
Second screen only

How are the monitor(s) and TV physically connected to the computer?

GPU, iGPU, cables (DP, HDMI....)?
when hitting win + P the monitor upstairs is set to be the PC screen, and the second screen is the TV laid out as u stated. the TV his plugged in via HDMI, and the monitor with DP.

Ralston18

Titan
PC -----DP -------->Monitor (upstairs) shows PC screen

and

-------HDMI -----> New TV (downstairs) shows second screen per WIN + P being in Extend Mode

The old TV would show the second screen when turned on.

The new TV requires you to go upstairs and change (via WIN+P) to ??? (Second screen only if my understanding is correct)

In the Nvidia Control Panel which display (monitor or TV) is Display 1 and which is Display 2?

Not sure what the problem may be but I am not sure that I understand the configuration.

Just one monitor upstairs correct?

Solution

wwaaacs5

Commendable
Oct 19, 2018
its ok, iv found the problem. its the TV. it does not stop receiving a video signal after i turn it off. so the computer still thinks its active, i can even tell my computer to switch to that display even when its off. even with all energy saving modes, device control, quickstart settings and ARC turned off. so in short, when i turn the TV, it does not turn off and still draws a good amount of power, so the PC continues to try to send it a signal.