Question Display stuttering/lagging every few seconds, any idea what it could be?

BPR96

Reputable
Apr 3, 2020
Hello,

So as the title says, the last few days my screen has been stuttering and freezing for maybe 1-2 seconds and then quickly speeding up to where it should be. This happens a few times a minute, so as you can imagine it's quite irritating. The freezing/lag happens when I am watching YouTube, playing games, anything really.

The only way I can describe it, imagine you are playing an online game and the connection slightly drops, the screen will freeze and then rapidly catch up to where it should be if you know what I mean.

I don't really know what it could be, I'm hoping somebody has an idea of what could be causing the problem so I can go about fixing it.

Thanks all :)

EDIT - Forgot my specs

CPU - Ryzen 5 3600
GPU - RTX 2070
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB
MB - MSI Tomohawk B450
PSU - Corsair TX750M

Lutfij

Titan
What OS are you working with? If on Windows 10, what version(not edition) are you on? You forgot to mention the storage drives in your platform. As for the platform, what BIOS version are you currently on for the motherboard? Which slots are the rams populating on the motherboard? Can you mention the titles that you're taxing the system with? As for the PSU, how old is the unit?

Might want to check and see what your driver version for Nvidia's control panel is at the time of writing.

BPR96

Reputable
Apr 3, 2020
What OS are you working with? If on Windows 10, what version(not edition) are you on? You forgot to mention the storage drives in your platform. As for the platform, what BIOS version are you currently on for the motherboard? Which slots are the rams populating on the motherboard? Can you mention the titles that you're taxing the system with? As for the PSU, how old is the unit?

Might want to check and see what your driver version for Nvidia's control panel is at the time of writing.

ah sorry, my bad.

I am currently using Windows 10 20H2. I have a 1TB M.2 slot which is boot device, and a 1TB SSD which is empty for the most part. States I am currently using American Megatrends version 3.50. RAM cards slotted in the second and fourth slots as suggested in the manual.

I checked the NVIDIA control panel
DirectX runtime version - 12.0
Driver version: 496.49

I built the PC in mid-late 2019 so the power supply is around 2 years old. As for the games that I am playing on it, I'd say the most taxing game I play is Rust, other than that it's usually just Rocket League and the occasional Football Manager.

To be honest, this wasn't happening last week. I recently installed the new GeForce Game Ready Driver and it started since around that time. Not sure if that may be a cause of the issue.

Nov 15, 2021
The same problem is happening to me recently.
Appears for 2-3 seconds, audio and video stutter especially when I'm listening to music from youtube or spotify.

I have a ryzen 3900x with an rtx 3070
I haven't found a solution yet :(

BPR96

Reputable
Apr 3, 2020
The same problem is happening to me recently.
Appears for 2-3 seconds, audio and video stutter especially when I'm listening to music from youtube or spotify.

I have a ryzen 3900x with an rtx 3070
I haven't found a solution yet :(

hello buddy,

I finally fixed my problem. What I did was download MalwareBytes and run a system scan. I found that I had multiple bitcoin mining software imbedded in my system. I deleted them all and since then it's been running smooth, a virus scan didn't show any of this, download MalwareBytes and see if there's anything hiding in the system like mining software that effects the performance :)