[SOLVED] Display vs Hardware, Did i mess up?

Nov 17, 2019
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-series/predatorx27

So I just bought an Predator X27, monitor.
No reason other then it was on sale, and I wanted a really nice monitor that would do me well, for years down the road.
Still waiting on delivery,

But not really thinking about, what it may require to run properly,

My rig,
I7-6850k 3.6
64g ram, @ ddr4, 2133
GTX 1080 8GB

What is your thoughts, also what card would be recommended for the predator display?
Thanks

Solution
Use a DisplayPort cable. As for gaming try messing with the settings. On many games you'll probably just need to tweak them a little for good framerates at 4K. Just bear in mind those gaming benchmarks are done at ultra super duper settings. Some modest adjustments can make a huge difference in FPS. Detail adjustments which are often hardly, if at all, noticeable.

If you still aren't happy. Look at an RTX 2080 Super/2080 Ti.
Use a DisplayPort cable. As for gaming try messing with the settings. On many games you'll probably just need to tweak them a little for good framerates at 4K. Just bear in mind those gaming benchmarks are done at ultra super duper settings. Some modest adjustments can make a huge difference in FPS. Detail adjustments which are often hardly, if at all, noticeable.

Reactions: Rockroller
Solution
Nov 17, 2019
You're fine. That being said, let this be a simple lesson, ask before you purchase, not the other way round.

thanks for reply, and I wasn't blind with my purchase, I read a lot before I bought, (its a lot of money to spend, not too) I just wanted too hear from others for conformation.
my card (Bought in 2016), said it was 4k capable. but after doing more reading on 4 k gaming, everyone is using much better GPU these days. more wondering if I was going to be overly disappointed in my UPG and have to buy a new one sooner, then I wanted. i'm holding off to see about the 3000, series. Thanks again

Nov 17, 2019

Thanks for reply,
This was more what I was needing to hear, yes I purchased the 1.4 DP cables, the other day, for what the monitor cost it should send them along with it, but doesn't hurt to have a few laying around for the other rigs in the game room. (daughter has 1050Ti, Wife has 2080 super) both will get monitor upgrades soon, they are only running on 6o hz, at the moment. i'll play with the settings like you suggest, im hoping to hold out till the new 3000s come out before I upgrade. I'll report back later this week with my results. Thanks again

Thanks for reply,
This was more what I was needing to hear, yes I purchased the 1.4 DP cables, the other day, for what the monitor cost it should send them along with it, but doesn't hurt to have a few laying around for the other rigs in the game room. (daughter has 1050Ti, Wife has 2080 super) both will get monitor upgrades soon, they are only running on 6o hz, at the moment. i'll play with the settings like you suggest, im hoping to hold out till the new 3000s come out before I upgrade. I'll report back later this week with my results. Thanks again

You're welcome.

Start with the likes of anti-aliasing, shadows, lighting and post processing . Knocking these down from ultra to even high can have a huge impact. Stuff like AA I rarely ever go beyond 2x. Honestly, at high res in most games. It's hard to see a difference between 2x and 16x AA.

Reactions: Rockroller