DisplayPort 1.3 Has Arrived, Drives 4K At 120 Hz

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot understand the industry to not dump HDMI 2.0 for Displayport. The only 4k TV available with a Displayport 1.2 is the Panasonic AX800. A damn shame since it is the only option to plug your 4k PC to a screen bigger than 30 inches.

Sparq17

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
The best Tom's news I've read all year!
Asus, will you pretty please make a 120Hz 4k IPS in time for Christmas? :)

Traciatim

Distinguished

No mention because it's a tiny part of the spec and not even a product and was introduced in 1.2a so it's not like it would be a big announcement for it to still be in 1.3.

StormyIV

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
Single gpu setups still have trouble running games at 60 fps at 4k let alone 120 fps. I'm not going to be excited until a 1440p IPS panel with Gsync and acceptable response times come out.

soldier44

Honorable
May 30, 2013
Just skipped right over us that have been using 2560 x 1600 (2K) displays for many years now with the 120hz option. Will have to move to 4K over 30 inches at 120hz as soon as someone makes one for less than 2 grand.

jaslynn

Reputable
Sep 15, 2014
Useful invention...This display port will be useful for many people..
Thanks.
Jaslynn from Bizbilla b2b portal

I guess it's good to have a cable with the bandwidth to push 120Hz on a 4K monitor, but there's no reason to drive a 4K monitor at 120Hz if you have a monitor with an adaptive sync technology such as G-sync. Freesync monitors are also supposed to become available in the near future. Acer will be releasing a 4K G-sync monitor next year.

If you think of it 4K is the equivalent of 4 1080p screens. For 4K, you'll still need 3 or 4 980s (if initial specs are correct) to drive the most demanding games on ultra at frame rates consistently above 60 and a lot of times you won't be anywhere near the 120fps mark. In 5-10 years, it will be a different story.

For now, I think monitor manufacturers should focus on adaptive-sync technologies as they really make a huge difference in performance and provide more value for more people.

G

will anyone reply me if gtx titan black supports 1.3 display port or not?

Merry_Blind

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
Good.

Personally I'm perfectly fine with 1080p60fps though... Just need better motion resolution and better displays overall. An OLED 1080p60hz display with a good Strobing technology for motion clarity would be perfect.

haftarun8

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2006
They'll never put displayport on conventional HDTVs as long as "big content" has its way. The sole purpose for HDMI's existence in the first place was for its built-in copy protection and handshaking; a way they can control who sees what and who can transfer what over what. Displayport to my knowledge has no mandatory DRM scheme like HDMI, so Hollywood and media creating corporations will forever lobby the FCC against making displayport a standard connector in the US at least.

Yet it seems every computers comes with VGA. They are just now finally starting to include DVI or HDMI but can't make up their minds. Just keep up with the times PC makers. When people buy a PC and find their old screen won't work they curse the progress of technology and will either buy an adapter or a new screen.

Just let VGA die already.

Status
Not open for further replies.