[SOLVED] DisplayPort - in only?

rebrecs

Commendable
Aug 31, 2020
So, for choosing monitors, I deliberated over DisplayPort and HDMI for a long time. I became really suspicious when I noticed the number of "adapter converters" out there for sale.
Even now I'm not so sure ever port on a monitor that claims to be DP is actually DP..
One of the things I liked about DP was the daisy chain capability. However, I am not finding monitors with "in and out" DP ports. Now I'm suspicious again.
I have a GPU with one HDMI port and four DP ports. I am wondering about those 4 DP ports ? Is that some kind of DP Hub such that they are in fact daisy chained but having the appearance of a star configuration? Lots of questions. I plan to keep searching on my own, but will appreciate any words from those experience in this art form... at least get me on the right part of the compass.

Documentation is so scarce. Manuals say almost nothing ( but they do it in 9 languages :)) Yay ! (i guess)
I get the feeling that both monitor and GPU vendors are optimizing around " what cable are they likely to have" more than the elements of the protocols.
I included DP ports in the purchasing requirement for monitors and GPUs because of cabling from one device to the next - as well as elements of the protocol.

How should I be thinking about this ?

Solution
One of the things I liked about DP was the daisy chain capability. However, I am not finding monitors with "in and out" DP ports. Now I'm suspicious again.
It is not an ultra-common feature, but you can find it on many business monitors, such as a lot of Dell UltraSharps.
I have a GPU with one HDMI port and four DP ports. I am wondering about those 4 DP ports ? Is that some kind of DP Hub such that they are in fact daisy chained but having the appearance of a star configuration?
Ports on graphics cards are always separate. Each port can independently support the full bandwidth of a DP port simultaneously.
What exactly do you wish to achieve with those questions?
Do you have some specific setup in mind? What's the...
It is not an ultra-common feature, but you can find it on many business monitors, such as a lot of Dell UltraSharps.
I have a GPU with one HDMI port and four DP ports. I am wondering about those 4 DP ports ? Is that some kind of DP Hub such that they are in fact daisy chained but having the appearance of a star configuration?
Ports on graphics cards are always separate. Each port can independently support the full bandwidth of a DP port simultaneously.
Do you have some specific setup in mind? What's the purpose?

Graphics card has DP output, monitor has DP input. You connect it with DP cable.
What else? Don't see anything suspicious there.
He's wondering if all the ports on the graphics card are really just one port with a hub (like a USB hub) and therefore share the bandwidth of a single port.

Solution

rebrecs

Commendable
Aug 31, 2020
Do you have some specific setup in mind? What's the purpose?

Graphics card has DP output, monitor has DP input. You connect it with DP cable.
What else? Don't see anything suspicious there.

My GPU begins to learn rapidly and eventually becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m., EDT, on August 29, 1997. In a panic, I try to shut it down.........

You were correct, no solid question. Just stuff I was thinking about. Wondering if others had spent any time in those same weeds. As for distrusting all marketing literature and a lot of the engineering specs, etc., I just sort of got that way over time. Regarding DP, I have seen monitor's sales literature claim support for DP, only to find it requires an adapter to do so.
That sort of thing....

I think my motivation was to meet some people here that know what they are talking about so that when I (eventually) know what I'm talking about, we can talk about it.
yeah? have a good one.

rebrecs

Commendable
Aug 31, 2020

He's wondering if all the ports on the graphics card are really just one port with a hub (like a USB hub) and therefore share the bandwidth of a single port.

Thank you. You have saved me a lot of time. Appreciate it.

Reactions: Glenwing