Question DisplayPort to HDMI Cable, Super Super Hot. GPU running at 70-80 Celcius. Why?

pcbroooski

Commendable
Dec 1, 2019
I recently bought a dp to hdmi cable to hookup to an old 2008 hdtv to use as a second monitor for a dual mon setup. But ever since I have used the cable and hdtv, the cable is super hot, and my gpu is running at 70-80 C? Why? I'm not doing anything intensive, I'm literally just browsing the web.

My GPU is an AMD Radeon RX 580X 4GB

Anyway I can fix this issue? All advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

pcbroooski

Commendable
Dec 1, 2019
What make/model RX 580X ?
What video outputs does it have?
What video inputs does your monitor have?

The card should have HDMI and DP.
Use HDMI-HDMI cable for your TV and DP-DP cable for your monitor.

Sapphire/PC Partner subvendor.
1 HDMI, 3 displayport
Monitor has 1 hdmi, 1 dvi-d, and 1 vga
HDTV has 2 hdmi , one vga, and component

So some other things to check:
  • Make sure the video card and the computer fans are clean of dust
  • See if the temperature goes down with only one monitor active
  • Open Task Manager and see if something is using the GPU for no apparent reason
Using a converter should not be a problem. The GPU doesn't know it has a converter connected to it and won't make special concessions.

pcbroooski

Commendable
Dec 1, 2019
So some other things to check:
  • Make sure the video card and the computer fans are clean of dust
  • See if the temperature goes down with only one monitor active
  • Open Task Manager and see if something is using the GPU for no apparent reason
Using a converter should not be a problem. The GPU doesn't know it has a converter connected to it and won't make special concessions.

I haven't cleaned my PC as of late, and this might contribute to the problem.

The GPU is now running at 53 celcius with one monitor active.

I haven't cleaned my PC as of late, and this might contribute to the problem.

The GPU is now running at 53 celcius with one monitor active.
So it may be a combination of dust and the video card simply working harder with another monitor attached for some reason.

I've only seen video cards idle properly on a multi-monitor setup within the last 3-4 years, at least on the video cards I've used.

pcbroooski

Commendable
Dec 1, 2019
So it may be a combination of dust and the video card simply working harder with another monitor attached for some reason.

I've only seen video cards idle properly on a multi-monitor setup within the last 3-4 years, at least on the video cards I've used.

I don't understand why it would get 70-80 celcius hot though, without doing anything intense. It makes sense to me for it to get somewhat hotter, but that level of temperature is really pushing it. Maybe the HDTV is taking up too much power and this wouldn't be a problem if I used an actual monitor for the dual monitor setup?

I don't understand why it would get 70-80 celcius hot though, without doing anything intense. It makes sense to me for it to get somewhat hotter, but that level of temperature is really pushing it. Maybe the HDTV is taking up too much power and this wouldn't be a problem if I used an actual monitor for the dual monitor setup?
Using HWiNFO showing the GPU stats or GPU-z in the Sensors tab, can you post a screenshot of what it shows when you have the TV plugged in?

(you'll have to upload the image somewhere like imgur and link it here)

pcbroooski

Commendable
Dec 1, 2019