Question DisplayPort to HDMI vs. DisplayPort to USB-C

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, if my monitor has both USB-C port as well as micro-HDMI port and I can get a DisplayPort 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 or DisplayPort 1.4 to USB C adapter to connect it to my RTX2080Ti, which is a better way to do it? What are the pros and cons of each approach?

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Samsung M8. They are very poor at giving detailed specifications. Sometimes the information are even wrong. I read the spec and manual multiple times already. I don't see the answer to my questions.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
So how does this affect the image quality as well as availability of some features (e.g. output color format and depth, maximum refresh rate, etc.)?
DP alt-mode works exactly the same as normal DP, dumb wires from plug to plug. It'll do whatever DP is capable of up to whatever bandwidth the cable is able to bear. The USB-PD chip isn't involved in data signals, it is only there to tell the attached device to run DP alt-mode.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Thank you. So DP should be more feature-rich? Samsung does not say what kind of cable is included with the display besides simply stating that it is a micro-HDMI to HDMI cable. Is there any good way to find out more about its capabilities? I wonder if micro-HDMI to HDMI cable is inferior to normal HDMI cables.