Displayport version compatibility

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
I don't have much experience with Displayport so I need help figuring out a few things.

1. In order to get Displayport 1.2 performance on a monitor which has DP 1.2, do the corresponding cable and display adapter also need to be rated for DP 1.2?

2. Can HDMI be adapted to Displayport and still take advantage of features such as integrated USB?

Memhorder

Distinguished
Got this from the page may answer your question :)

"Despite what you may read, there is no such thing as a DisplayPort 1.1 cable and DisplayPort 1.2 cable. A standard DisplayPort cable, including the so-call DisplayPort 1.1 cables, will work for any DisplayPort configuration including the new capabilities enabled by DisplayPort 1.2, including 4K and multi-stream capabilities. All standard DisplayPort cables support RBR, HBR (High Bit Rate), and HBR2 (High Bit Rate 2), which can support 4K at 60Hz, or up to four 1080p displays using multi-stream."

http://www.displayport.org/cables/how-to-choose-a-displayport-cable-and-not-get-a-bad-one/

anxiousinfusion

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2011
Thanks, so that crosses cables off my list of question marks:

[strike]Monitor[/strike]
[strike]Cable[/strike]
Graphics adapter

Some of my own research turned up (at least with regards to DP 1.2a and 1.3):

As far as system requirements for FreeSync, other than a display that supports DisplayPort Adaptive-Sync, you need a supported AMD GPU with a DisplayPort connection and a driver from AMD with FreeSync support.

So it doesn't matter what DP connector the GPU or motherboard are using, as long as it is Displayport of any kind it should be compatible?