[SOLVED] Displays turns off and monitor goes into standby mode

mateuszsudden

Prominent
Dec 10, 2018
So i recently was playing Resident Evil 7 for about 30 minutes, after this i paused the game and went to get some food and when i came back the monitor was in standby mode, i tried mashing the keyboard (It was plugged in, and rgb was on) but nothing happened, so i did a force restart, when it booted back up it was fine, than i played Dying Light for about 15min and boom the monitor again went into standby mode, i was still hearing the game. I tried a different monitor and it was still happening. What could be the problem of this? GPU? PSU? CPU? specs for reference:
Nvidia GTX 1050Ti
i5-7400
2x8gb DDR4 2133mhz
PSU: (couldn't find the exact model) Modecom 80+ gold 500W

I would personally consider the PSU to be the most likely culprit, considering the symptoms you describe.

Is there any way you could borrow a known working PSU, from a friend or relative perhaps, to see if the computer works without issues with a working PSU?

It would be a quick way to narrow down potential causes for the stabililty issues

mateuszsudden

Prominent
Dec 10, 2018
I would personally consider the PSU to be the most likely culprit, considering the symptoms you describe.

Is there any way you could borrow a known working PSU, from a friend or relative perhaps, to see if the computer works without issues with a working PSU?

It would be a quick way to narrow down potential causes for the stabililty issues
Unfortunately, no, most of my friends/family use laptops. And just found the PSU, it's a Modecom 500W OEM (MC-500-G90)

it's a Modecom 500W OEM (MC-500-G90)

This is the reason why I considered the PSU the most likely cause of your problems to begin with.

Although it musn't exclude looking at different probable causes - but to be honest, I personally think it could save you a lot of time, if you somehow can test the PSU before a lot of other time consuming troubleshooting which might not lead anywhere

mateuszsudden

Prominent
Dec 10, 2018
This is the reason why I considered the PSU the most likely cause of your problems to begin with.

Although it musn't exclude looking at different probable causes - but to be honest, I personally think it could save you a lot of time, if you somehow can test the PSU before a lot of other time consuming troubleshooting which might not lead anywhere
Okay so if the PSU turns out to be the culprit, what PSU do you recommend buying, preferably a cheap (but still good ofc) 80+ Gold 500W one

Last edited:

Static_FX

Honorable
Jul 29, 2016
thats the problem, "cheap" you should never ever be cheap about your PSU. Its the heart of your pc. cheap psu and you risk cooking everything. Gold isnt a quality, its just efficiency.
that being said.. there are levels of quality. remember, you get what you pay for!

do some searching read reviews. Stick with names you have heard of,
Seasonic, Corsair, Thermaltake, EVGA, Bequiet (expensive)....

mateuszsudden

Prominent
Dec 10, 2018
OKay, update of the situation, today i was playing some CS:GO, and suddenly the monitor again went into standby mode and my friends couldn't hear me and i couldn't hear them, so i restarted the pc, after the restart the pc turned on all the fans and rgb were running but the monitor was still in standby mode and didn't find any sources, and the mouse and keyboard were not responding as well, what is the problem??

TRENDING THREADS