[SOLVED] Distinguishing VGA and D-sub

Jul 11, 2021
Hi experts,
I have an old 20 inch LED monitor (LG 2050S) which is connected through a VGA cable to my PC.
Now I want to buy a new PC and I was wondering if I can continue using my old monitor or not.
The new motherboard I'm looking at has a D-sub port, a DVI port, and HDMI.
Now my question is that can I connect my monitor with its 15 pin VGA blue cable to the 15 pin D-sub port (which is black and not blue like the port on my old PC)?
Thanks in advance!

Solution
While VGA and D-Sub are the same, the answer is: depends.
The fact that motherboard has D-Sub port is not enough info here because to get display from that port you'll also need a CPU that has iGPU (any many don't have it). Also note that even if you do get display through motherboard port you'll be limited with efficiency of iGPU (so in other words no real gaming on that monitor).
The fact that motherboard has D-Sub port is not enough info here because to get display from that port you'll also need a CPU that has iGPU (any many don't have it). Also note that even if you do get display through motherboard port you'll be limited with efficiency of iGPU (so in other words no real gaming on that monitor).

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Hi experts,
I have an old 20 inch LED monitor (LG 2050S) which is connected through a VGA cable to my PC.
Now I want to buy a new PC and I was wondering if I can continue using my old monitor or not.
The new motherboard I'm looking at has a D-sub port, a DVI port, and HDMI.
Now my question is that can I connect my monitor with its 15 pin VGA blue cable to the 15 pin D-sub port (which is black and not blue like the port on my old PC)?
Thanks in advance!
The video ports on the motherboard are dependent on the CPU you choose. What CPU ?

Jul 11, 2021
Thank you for replying.
So does that mean if I get a CPU with processor graphics (say 10th gen Core i5-10400 or i7-10700), will I be able to use the D-sub port?

Jul 11, 2021
VGA is the least desirable interface. If that monitor has DVI, it will be a much superior display. I couldn't find any specs which listed the interfaces on that monitor.
I see. This one's so old though and has no DVI. I'll try to get a new monitor as soon as I can.
Thanks for the help.