[SOLVED] DIY 7-inch LCD panel replacement doable?

lowep

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
I just got a very nice secondhand reverse camera kit for my camper - but its 7" LCD TFT screen is smashed, as if someone hit it with a hammer (probably due to poor packing) so one option I am considering since I like the kit is to replace the LCD panel?

Before even thinking about trying to do that, I would like to ask if it is likely that I will have to source the exact same 7" LCD panel from the exact same monitor or is it "likely" the LCD panel is generic and can be replaced with any same-sized LCD panel?

My concern is that even though the size of a generic replacement panel may be the same, the original LCD panel may have a very specific type of connector so it would be a waste of time and money to try and find a replacement one.

Please let me know if you think from your experience I am on the write track or barking up the wrong tree?

Solution
If you can get the same model number as the panel in the system you should be able to do a swap. That isn't a guarantee though. Some devices like that have the panel cabling soldered to the board, and that increases the difficulty quite a bit. You are going to have to do some more research. So, try to find the model number of the panel and see if someone has posted anything like a tear down or a repair guide online. Even just pictures of the internals will give you a good idea.
If you can get the same model number as the panel in the system you should be able to do a swap. That isn't a guarantee though. Some devices like that have the panel cabling soldered to the board, and that increases the difficulty quite a bit. You are going to have to do some more research. So, try to find the model number of the panel and see if someone has posted anything like a tear down or a repair guide online. Even just pictures of the internals will give you a good idea.

Solution

lowep

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Thanks for this useful advice! The connection between the camera and the monitor is wireless, using what the company calls SEL pairing that I fear has something to do with encryption?

I did see an almost identical generic Made in China wireless camera with a free smartphone app for sale on eBay, which gave me the idea that maybe I could just junk the monitor and use the camera that seems to be working fine with my iphone, but after downloading the app I found that it did not find the camera on either the bluetooth or wireless list of my phone settings, so looks like the kit is too good quality (ie using encryption) to enable to get me off the hook that way.

Another option I thought about was maybe cracking open the monitor case to see if there is some way I could turn the monitor into a wireless receiver for the camera and hook it up to some other cheap monitor for viewing but I fear I am nowhere near smart enough to do that.