[SOLVED] DIY Home media server

Feb 6, 2020
I have a clone amplifier case that I want to make into a low power media server, and I need some assistance on picking the parts. I will be using multiple 10TB HDDs (which I already have some of), and would like to run a fanless AMD setup. I also need to be able to use USB 3, HDMI, and have a PCIE 2 X8 slot. In addition I would like it to be powered by a wall wart.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
You probably want "wall-wart" in order to safe space in the case, but "Multiple HDDs" are already taking space. I applaud your desire to reuse that amp' enclosure, but you have to plan also for thermal output of these HDDs, and add cooling. Spliting your setup on "CPU box" and "Storage" box (with appropriate connections between them) might get that case into use.
Feb 6, 2020
I have seen MBs that say 4 wire 12v...can that be for a wall wart? How much power are you saying I need for multiple 10TB HDDs? I did not say I needed 2 PCIE x8 slots... I need 1PCIE 2 slot that is for a PCIE 2 x8 SAS card. I have seen plenty of MBs that support PCIE 3 X16...will tha t support a PCIE 2 x8 card. I do not know if they are backward compartible.

You probably want "wall-wart" in order to safe space in the case, but "Multiple HDDs" are already taking space. I applaud your desire to reuse that amp' enclosure, but you have to plan also for thermal output of these HDDs, and add cooling. Spliting your setup on "CPU box" and "Storage" box (with appropriate connections between them) might get that case into use.

Solution
Feb 6, 2020
Thank you for the suggestions! That is exactly why. I mainly want a way to access all my media in one place, and AFAIK I need a cpu to access all the HDDs. I want to be able to access them from a Linux PC, and also from a couple of DUNE HD PRO media players...in addition to populating them from Windows 7. Right now the 3 10TB HDDs are WD USB 3 drives that I planned to remove from their cases, and put all of them in 1 case. The audio case I am using is a clone Krell KSA50 amp case which has huge heat sinks (I had thought of trying to make them into a heat pipe, but I amnot sure how to do that either...just a thought though.). What I was planning on doing was venting the bottom plate, and top plate for cooling, and possibly installing a Noctura fan if needed. So you are suggesting just to get a low powered motherboard, and run an umbilical cord to an external power supply? If I go that route...should I run the HDDs in another box? If so how would I power them up? Would I need to keep them as USB HDDs, and power them through a USB hub inside the case? I also have a UnRaid NAS, but recently that has turned out to have a problem with buffering when used with Dune, so I decided to just use the NAS as a backup, and build a new media server...hence my questions.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020
19"Wx19"Dx9"H - you should have plenty of space for miniATX board, 500W PSU, and more than three HDDs.
Thanks. The internal dimensions are only... 380mm wide x 220mm high x 360mm deep . I think I can fir the motherboard in there, and some hdds, but ai will need to have an external hdd. Maybe I can get a case for the power supply, and use an umbilical cord for co necting to the power supply from the case.

TRENDING THREADS