Build Advice DIY NAS / Media Server build ?

Mar 5, 2024
Hello all,
I'm new to this and appoligize for being a dummy but I need some assistance to figure this out.

I got my hands on a HP T740 Thin client running Ryzen V1756B with Vega 8 Graphics, 8 GB DDR4 3200mhz.
Would love to set it up as my home NAS and Plex media server running unRAID.

Before beginning the process I'll need more storage, Haven't bought any HDD's yet but I'm thinking 5x 4 tb 3,5 HDD's.
The thin client doesn't have any SATA connectors but does have a low-profile PCI slot and 2 M.2 slots, (one of them has support for NVME and the other one M.2 SATA)
I have searched for a HDD enclosure and found ‎ORICO DS500C3 but after some research I found out that running NAS via USB is not recommended and UNRAID will have issues identifying the drives separately so here I am trying to find another way.

Is it possible to use a HBA card for SATA expansion via PCI or M.2 To SATA3 Expansion Card? Found this one on Amazon
If so, how would I go on with delivering power to the HDD's, in this case 5 of them? I do not have a PSU.

I'm aware that using a tower PC would make things a lot easier, but I'd like to now if this is possible.

I appreciate the help!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

To be blunt, you're trying to make something work beyond what it was intended to be used for, meaning using an M.2 adapter to add more storage. You should stick to the 2x M.2 drive options in your build, which would have to be SSD's and use the RJ45 ort on the back of the Thin Client to hook up a NAS to it.

My 2 cents, at least.

Mar 5, 2024
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

To be blunt, you're trying to make something work beyond what it was intended to be used for, meaning using an M.2 adapter to add more storage. You should stick to the 2x M.2 drive options in your build, which would have to be SSD's and use the RJ45 ort on the back of the Thin Client to hook up a NAS to it.

My 2 cents, at least.
This Thin Client could host a home NAS on it's own the only issue is storage, there is a PCIe x 16 slot available which can expand some areas and it's upgradable in that sense . I do not want to spend 500+ € on a NAS because the whole point of this is to use this client for it.

Mar 5, 2024
I would not spend a dime on this, until it was proven that I could install an OS on an internal drive in this 'thin client'.
You mean the M.2 To SATA3 Expansion Card?
If you meant the thin client it self I already installed Windows 11 fully functional and hosting a media server right now. I want to switch over to unRAID.

lantis3

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2015
UnRAID has 30 day trial. UnRAID does not have RAID 5 however.

It probably could work (using https://www.amazon.com/MZHOU-Profile-Bracket-Support-Devices(ASM1166/dp/B097RBLM9G ) for your 5 drives setup, but why? You have to keep the case open, you also definitely need one external power supply that can power 5 drives , 5 pair sata & power combo cables to power the drives, and a 5 drives internal HDD enclosure used as external enclosure . It will be a mess.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2024
UnRAID has 30 day trial. UnRAID does not have RAID 5 however.

It probably could work (using https://www.amazon.com/MZHOU-Profile-Bracket-Support-Devices(ASM1166/dp/B097RBLM9G ) for your 5 drives setup, but why? You have to keep the case open, you also definitely need one external power supply that can power 5 drives , 5 pair sata & power combo cables to power the drives, and a 5 drives internal HDD enclosure used as external enclosure . It will be a mess.

'No need for RAID 5, I'll use 1 or 2 parity drives.
Thanks for the tip on the PCIe card that one will be perfect for a decent price.
M.2 SATA slot is only PCIe x1 but the PCIe slot is x8 so I'll have no issues running multiple high capacity drives.
There is a PCI riser on the motherboard and a hatch on the backplate that I can run SATA cable's through so no need to keep the case open.
Found this:
https://www.amazon.se/-/en/IB-565SS...d=1709739402&sprefix=hdd+cage,aps,97&sr=8-182

Now I'll get a PSU capable of powering on the whole thing and put everything in a old case, this is a starting point and bare minimum budget. I'll get a tower PC for this purpose in the future.