[SOLVED] DIY PC reboots constantly without display, what did I fry?

Nov 10, 2019
Hello all. I built a rig years ago which had been working great. Today during a gaming session, she crashed and that was that. I thought it was a shut down but the GPU, HDD, and power light on the tower were still on. Display and all fans shut off. I tried removing the GPU and running video through the mobo, no dice. Removed the CMOS battery. Messed with the memory, though not in every position. Moved the PSU and monitor plugs from a surge protector directly into the outlet. Nothing. The HDD and GPU start up but nothing else, no BIOS, nada.

I checked the physical connections inside the case, nothing seems amiss. The only factor I can recently think of is that I had to move and the computer lived in a car and Uhaul for a couple days, but I tried to protect it. Took the GPU out for transport and put the tower in a container surrounded by soft stuff. The CPU has been overclocked from 3.3 to 3.7 using the BIOS settings for as long as I can remember, otherwise everything is standard. The CPU has never gone over 65C, nor the GPU over 75, which is about my comfort limit.

Next I will try reseating the CPU with new paste and giving everything a thorough dusting. TBF I have never replaced the paste since building (I know, kind of). I also briefly read about using a paper clip to test the PSU? Thanks in advance.

i5-4590 @ OC to 3.7gHz
Gigabyte H97-D3H
Sapphire Vapor-X R9 280x 3GB
Corsair CX600M 600w PSU
G.Skills Ripjaws 4GB @ 1600mHz x2
Cooler Master N300 case + two extra fans

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019
I only have an analog multimeter and may pick up a digital one for accuracy’s sake, but the 24-pin connector seems okay from what I could test. Should I trace the PSU connectors or just consider it a dead mobo?

Nov 10, 2019
Thanks, I’ll do so. I’m hoping that’s it because the 24-pin seems to test okay, as do the Molex and PCI connectors that I’m able to test, so here’s to not having a fried mobo or CPU.

Nov 10, 2019
...don’t know how I missed that when I built it and I’m surprised it lasted so long. Thank you. I really would not be mad if it bricked, I just want the rest of the components to be alright. Picking up a better unit today along with paste and a can of air. Will update...

Edit - it’s technically this fat boy, but power requirements are the same.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2019
Okay...so purchased a Corsair CX750. Would have preferred EVGA or the like but this was available locally. Anyway, I wired everything up (I think) with the exception of GPU and CD drive. Now everything seems to get power, but I have no display going through the mobo and the rig restarts after 10 seconds. I only let it cycle like that a couple times to prevent further damage. I tried redoing the CPU paste but couldn’t get the fan cooler connector off, so I gave up. I did undo the CPU cooler pins in anticipation of pulling it, but after tightening them again the pins are locked into the back of the mobo as they should be, so I’m not sure that’s the issue.

What did I fry?

Nov 10, 2019
Alriiiiight...for the sake of follow-through, she’s seemingly up and running. Played around with the memory a bit. Removed a stick, she starts up. Good. Swapped that one with the other stick, no display. Progress. Swapped them both in where they used to be and...she also starts.

I’m confused but whatever. Maybe I just hadn’t clicked them back in properly, and I don’t know why it momentarily went weird with the one stick, but it seems back to normal. Running MemTest86 now to check. Thanks for the help! Great forum.