DIY yagi, USB vs ethernet modem 30ft. run

Sep 29, 2018
I live in a rural area with no available broadband connection, the ground is flat and trees are low.

I made a yagi antenna from plans I found on the web but used better materials.

My question is I need a wifi modem (not sure if that is the correct name) to waterproof and attach to the yagi that will be about 30' away.
Should I get a USB type as most use in tutorials or an ethernet type preferably POE so I don't have to run an addition wire. I would need to then buy a POE injector correct or could I just use a 12vdc wall- transformer custom made CAT5e cable and mode a non POE modem internally tapping into pins 4,5,7 & 8 or is there something else going on with POE that i'm not grasping?
I am aware of voltage drop, just FYI.

I also have a cisco wrt160n that i may have bricked with wrong firmware a cisco wap321 and some intel wifi radios/ modems out of some old laptops that i assume i could connect to my ethernet port soldering some cat5 to the appropriate pads and powering it, if any are a better choice then the above route.

Also question on the yagi antenna does the "parasitic" and "reflector" elements need to be grounded?
I have seen some of the main "rod" made of wood, pvc and aluminum and couldn't tell if the elements are isolated from the main rod.

Thanks for any advice/ help

QXDIN6e.jpg

Solution
Other than something to play with a DIY wifi antenna is not really cost effective thing. As it appears you have figured out the cost of quality microwave cable mean you must place the electronics outside. If you use cheap cable you lose more signal than your antenna gains.

It is massively hard to get something waterproof but still allow for air circulation for cooling.

I did this many years ago but now you can buy devices build and tested by professionals for not much more than the cost of the parts. I used to mount router directly to antenna and put them in plastic boxes. You can also be sure the antennas actually work unlike ones you build yourself and have no way to really verify the actual gain.

Look at ubiquiti or engenius...
Other than something to play with a DIY wifi antenna is not really cost effective thing. As it appears you have figured out the cost of quality microwave cable mean you must place the electronics outside. If you use cheap cable you lose more signal than your antenna gains.

It is massively hard to get something waterproof but still allow for air circulation for cooling.

I did this many years ago but now you can buy devices build and tested by professionals for not much more than the cost of the parts. I used to mount router directly to antenna and put them in plastic boxes. You can also be sure the antennas actually work unlike ones you build yourself and have no way to really verify the actual gain.

Look at ubiquiti or engenius they have many products that cost under $50.

In general this solution does not work with directional antenna only on 1 end. It works ok to receive but the unit on the far end has issues getting enough signal to function properly. This is especially true if the remote unit is not outdoors.

Solution