dllhost.exe using an enormous amount of ram (7 out of 8 gb)

veeza

Honorable
Jan 29, 2014
Ive recently run into a problem where dllhost.exe is using pretty much all of my ram. Ive ran scans and tried to fix the issue by looking up fixes but non have worked.

Solution
PROBLEM SOLVED:
I'm using Windows 7 as well, with 4GB RAM. Some sites are saying it has to do with Internet Explorer 10 in combination with a certain update, but I'm using Internet Explorer 11. Scans and fixes didn't help. I found out it had to do with some thumbnail preview malfunction in Windows explorer, especially with 3D MP4 files. Each time I opened a folder with a 3D MP4 file, the problem occurred. So I downloaded Media Preview from Babelsoft (http://www.babelsoft.net/products.htm) and only selected the MP4 files group for being previewed in Windows explorer. Problem solved. Later on I found out that it is because of Windows Media Player not being able to play those 3D MP4 files. A thumbnail can't be created so the whole 3D MP4...

ak52032013

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013

DITTO! Sorry that I am not providing an answer, but wanted you to know that I am sharing your pain. Noticed that my desktop was crawling, when I opened Task Manager, of the 65-70 processes running, 40 - 50 of them were the dllhost.exe. I have tried every resource possible, including TWC's tech support, Youtube solutions, etc. I can NOT stop this thing. My last resort will be to buy a new desktop, but not until I am sure of how to get everything off this one. And I don't want to transfer this beast to a new machine. Anyone out there that can help us???!!!

ak52032013

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013

Hope you are still reading this because I know how terrible this problem is...I am no techie, but I solved this problem by running three anti virus programs AT THE SAME TIME, and it might work for you...Microsoft Security Essentials, Malwarebytes and Slimcleaner. All are free and can be easily downloaded if you don't have them already. I started all three at once, which will bring your machine to a crawl so you cant do anything else, but if you're willing to walk away from it and let the three work, you might get a good result like I did.
Good luck.

Airduster

Reputable
Mar 14, 2014
PROBLEM SOLVED:
I'm using Windows 7 as well, with 4GB RAM. Some sites are saying it has to do with Internet Explorer 10 in combination with a certain update, but I'm using Internet Explorer 11. Scans and fixes didn't help. I found out it had to do with some thumbnail preview malfunction in Windows explorer, especially with 3D MP4 files. Each time I opened a folder with a 3D MP4 file, the problem occurred. So I downloaded Media Preview from Babelsoft (http://www.babelsoft.net/products.htm) and only selected the MP4 files group for being previewed in Windows explorer. Problem solved. Later on I found out that it is because of Windows Media Player not being able to play those 3D MP4 files. A thumbnail can't be created so the whole 3D MP4 file is being read which causes the whole memory being used. So probably installing a 3D MP4 player software could solve the problem as well but I didn't test it.

Solution