Discussion DLSS is pretty awesome

Mahisse

Distinguished
After creating some threads in here and getting some advice I ended up buying 4060 TI instead of some AMD price-equivalent with better raw power performance (but higher temps and power consumption, which was a factor for me).

After owning the 4060 TI for 3 weeks now I can say I'm very happy with the choice in general, but I must say I'm positively surprised by the DLSS technology on the 40xx series.

I know it's not all titles that fully support DLSS but when they do, it really works well. When having a game set everything on the highest settings I've seen good examples where DLSS ramps up 20,25,30 fps more when enabled. The best example is of course Cyberpunk 2077, where I was getting ~55 fps on highest settings and DLSS enables me to cap my monitor frequency at 75 fps, where it sits stable throughout gameplay.

I think the DLSS technology is really impressive when it works (I haven't got any experience with FSR 3). I guess my question here is if we can expect most modern titles being released with DLSS/FSR 3 support in the future? IE I've read "Helldivers 2" devs most likely won't bother supporting DLSS because they find it to be unnecessary, which I can understand.

I only know the very basics of developing a game but I would assume if a game was developed in an Unreal 5 engine, the game would very likely support DLSS "out of the box"? There are alot of other game engines out there that don't support DLSS, it seems. So would you expect DLSS only to be supported by games developed on "mainstream" engines for the future? Is it only a "gimmick" that only big AAA titles bothers to support?

After creating some threads in here and getting some advice I ended up buying 4060 TI instead of some AMD price-equivalent with better raw power performance (but higher temps and power consumption, which was a factor for me).

After owning the 4060 TI for 3 weeks now I can say I'm very happy with the choice in general, but I must say I'm positively surprised by the DLSS technology on the 40xx series.

I know it's not all titles that fully support DLSS but when they do, it really works well. When having a game set everything on the highest settings I've seen good examples where DLSS ramps up 20,25,30 fps more when enabled. The best example is of course Cyberpunk 2077, where I was getting ~55 fps on highest settings and DLSS enables me to cap my monitor frequency at 75 fps, where it sits stable throughout gameplay.

I think the DLSS technology is really impressive when it works (I haven't got any experience with FSR 3). I guess my question here is if we can expect most modern titles being released with DLSS/FSR 3 support in the future? IE I've read "Helldivers 2" devs most likely won't bother supporting DLSS because they find it to be unnecessary, which I can understand.

I only know the very basics of developing a game but I would assume if a game was developed in an Unreal 5 engine, the game would very likely support DLSS "out of the box"? There are alot of other game engines out there that don't support DLSS, it seems. So would you expect DLSS only to be supported by games developed on "mainstream" engines for the future? Is it only a "gimmick" that only big AAA titles bothers to support?
I think many newer AAA titles should support the latest DLSS3.5+/FSR3+. It's definitely not a gimmick.
Some types of games may not benefit much from DLSS/FSR though (like Baldur's Gate 3).

Upscaling is cool but it can create artifacts, garbled writing, pixelation, reduced quality, input delays, etc. Frame generation can make these issues even worse. Some people are not very sensitive to these issues or consider the boost in FPS to be a fair trade off. Personally, I can't stand many of the quality issues that are introduced with these upscaling technologies, but that's just me.

Aug 2, 2023
DLSS is probably the best and most amazing thing that I ever see. This by itself justifies purchasing an RTX over its competitors.

There's virtually no trade off. Most of the time (99%) it's just a better image in every aspect. Better sharpening, more details and a absolutely 0 cost and perfect AA.

Trade off only if you play games using magnifying glass or taking screenshots everytime looking for issues and bad render.

This was taken years ago in Cyberpunk. By me. Look at that... It's just absurd. DLSS simply fixed a failure on native image rendering. And this happens all the time in various scenes and on various subjects.

azRPOTl.png

What kills DLSS are the haters. People who hate NVIDIA just because it's NVIDIA.

People that create fantasies around DLSS. As if the laughable and irrelevant tradeoffs were relevant.

And contrary to popular belief (based in terrible youtubers reviews), it works well at any resolution. 1080p with DLSS is better than 1080p with DLSS off. Same for 720p, 4k, 8k, it doesn't matter, whatever resolution you want, with DLSS turned on you will necessarily have a superior image virtually in every frame.

And so far I haven't even talked about the gain in performance. Which varies from 30% to 70%. It's just amazing, it's extraordinary.

Perhaps DLSS Frame Generation (DLSS3) is even more impressive. But here we have a trade off to talk about.

Reactions: Mahisse

mjbn1977

Distinguished
Yep, I agree. Since DLSS 2.0 the tech is pretty awesome and anything that came since was pretty much a banger (3.0 and 3.5). I don't understand "real" pixel purists who refuse to use the tech because it's "fake". Even so they miss out on the actual better pictures and performance. I am also a big fan of DLAA in games where I have enough power to reach my target framerate (144fps) without DLSS upscaling.

Mahisse

Distinguished
DLSS is probably the best and most amazing thing that I ever see. This by itself justifies purchasing an RTX over its competitors.

There's virtually no trade off. Most of the time (99%) it's just a better image in every aspect. Better sharpening, more details and a absolutely 0 cost and perfect AA.

Trade off only if you play games using magnifying glass or taking screenshots everytime looking for issues and bad render.

This was taken years ago in Cyberpunk. By me. Look at that... It's just absurd. DLSS simply fixed a failure on native image rendering. And this happens all the time in various scenes and on various subjects.

azRPOTl.png

What kills DLSS are the haters. People who hate NVIDIA just because it's NVIDIA.

People that create fantasies around DLSS. As if the laughable and irrelevant tradeoffs were relevant.

And contrary to popular belief (based in terrible youtubers reviews), it works well at any resolution. 1080p with DLSS is better than 1080p with DLSS off. Same for 720p, 4k, 8k, it doesn't matter, whatever resolution you want, with DLSS turned on you will necessarily have a superior image virtually in every frame.

And so far I haven't even talked about the gain in performance. Which varies from 30% to 70%. It's just amazing, it's extraordinary.

Perhaps DLSS Frame Generation (DLSS3) is even more impressive. But here we have a trade off to talk about.

This was actually the feeling I got, when looking for a new GPU. Not many ever mentioned the DLSS as a benefit. It's still about the raw power of rendering each frame in most forums but I believe with the new AI rendering/upscaling technology it doesn't make sense to take that into consideration as well if games are going to support the technology in a broad range.
I forgot to tell that I game in 1080 and I think this is why I was surprised by the sheer performance of DLSS because most articles and youtube videos are scoping in on "2K"/4K, so I thought the DLSS was mostly beneficial to gain extra frames in higher resolutions.
With the AI/Machine Learning technology I think performance reviews needs to take this much more into consideration in the future.
You get the impression people see it as "cheating" somehow but if there is no noticable tradeoff, or only really small ones there is no reason to "hate" on it.

Mahisse

Distinguished
It's fun to keep in mind the native rez DLSS is upscaling from.

from wiki

Quality 1.50x 66.6%

Balanced 1.72x 58.0%

Performance 2.00x 50.0%

Ultra Performancesince v2.1 3.00x 33.3%
Does it makes a difference if you don't notice? I'm not sure if this is a pro or con post for DLSS