Question DLSS or DLAA with a 4090?

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
I am currently playing Horizon Forbidden West. When I first chose my settings I put it on DLSS quality. I posted on Steam about how good the performance and graphics are. Now people are busting my nuts saying I shouldn't be using DLSS with a 4090. They are saying to use DLAA and the image quality will look better. I switched to DLAA and it doesn't look any different. Specs below.

MSI 4090 Gaming X Trio
5900X
Acer Predator 27" 1440P 165Hz monitor

FPS capped at 160 with RTSS

With either DLSS on quality or DLAA I am getting about the same FPS. Around 150 to 160 in most areas. Some areas of the map as low as 120 but consistent between the 2 settings. GPU temp was around 50C with DLSS, 54 with DLAA. CPU runs around 67 with either setting.

I am not up to speed on DLSS, DLAA, anti aliasing in general. From what I have read, DLSS renders at a low resolution and then upscales it but at the cost of quality. Less taxing on the GPU which would allow it to run slightly cooler? DLAA runs at native resolution and is supposed to give better quality and slightly more taxing on the GPU? I still don't see any difference in image quality.

DLAA is pretty much just DLSS if you set the game to render at the monitor's full resolution.

Everyone is telling you to just run DLAA because the 4090 is fast enough to render any game at 1440p. DLSS quality renders the game at one step below monitor resolution so 1080p, and upscales the final image to 1440p. You aren't seeing any difference in performance because at such a low resolution you are CPU limited.

The upscaling can help improve image quality but not to quite to as good as full resolution, because the upscaling is ordered-grid supersampling which is not as effective as the rotated-grid supersampling we had 25 years ago.

emitfudd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2017
DLAA is pretty much just DLSS if you set the game to render at the monitor's full resolution.

Everyone is telling you to just run DLAA because the 4090 is fast enough to render any game at 1440p. DLSS quality renders the game at one step below monitor resolution so 1080p, and upscales the final image to 1440p. You aren't seeing any difference in performance because at such a low resolution you are CPU limited.

The upscaling can help improve image quality but not to quite to as good as full resolution, because the upscaling is ordered-grid supersampling which is not as effective as the rotated-grid supersampling we had 25 years ago.
So does that mean I should use one or the other or neither? I was just reading a bunch of Reddit posts and some people say DLSS looks better and others say DLAA looks better. I guess it doesn't matter if I don't see any noticeable difference? DLSS on quality did allow my GPU to run a few degrees cooler.