DNF Launches Overseas with Mixed Reviews

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
just played threw a little of it and it does seem dated but it is an ok game and i will continue playing it. playing DNF is like going back and watching a chuck Norris movie from the 80's it's cheesy and cliche by todays standards but it is still cool

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Interesting, throughout your whole tirade you never said if you enjoyed it or not, either you didn't enjoy it and forgot to say or you did enjoy it but are not saying so to try and be cool with the others who hate it. Far as I'm concerned games are NOT a democracy, I played it and liked it, if I'm the only one from millions who did then tough titty for you all, I had fun and in the end that's all that matters.All I want now is for Gearbox to pump out 3 DLC packs the same way they did with Borderlands and then get to work on Duke 5.[/citation]

Woah, someone's got a chip on their shoulder. My 'tirade', I'm 'trying to be cool' by saying it's not the best game in the world??

It's an ok game but that's it. I can't see myself playing through it again even though I played through the original Duke3D probably near on a hundred times. I never said it was terrible, just that it has many issues and is incredibly short. A full priced game shouldn't be over in 8 hours, no matter how good it is.

Pros:

Duke is awesome as always with great one liners.
Makes you feel like a teenager again getting excited with the strip club part.
Nostalgic feel throughout as you remember the countless hours spent on the original.
Pretty good looking and not too demanding on GPUs - should scale well.

Cons:

Old and at times frustrating game mechanics.
Easy to get lost at times, especially when shrunk.
Frequent crashes with ATI/AMD graphics cards.
Only two weapons at a time - since when was Duke realistic?
You die far too easily on easy mode compared to other games and original Duke 3D.
Far too short - especially for the money. Equivalent in length to about one episode from Duke 3D.
Not enough variance in level zones, the places you do go to are drawn out and repetitive.

All in all apart from being *far* too short, it's not bad. I'd give it 60%. However, if it didn't have the Duke Nukem brand and characters then it'd be 40%.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
If all of the complaints are about how the story is like an 80s action movie, then it sounds like they're missing the point. Its SUPPOSED to be like that. As for lackluster gameplay, that doesn't surprise me. I've been looking forward to this for the cheesy character(s) and one-liners, not the gameplay. I'm still hoping for the best. Game review sites are full of shit anyways.

they weren't trying to be modern because the story of the game was from the mid -90's when the game was first being made. its like finding a long lost script for a Friday the 13th movie that was written in the 80's and decided to bring it to theaters today (probably in 3D unfortunately)

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Ok maybe tirade was a bad word to use but the lesser graphics mean it is more inclusive, unlike Crysis where you needed a killer rig just to play on minimum, and finishing in 8 hours was never a problem for Portal.

People need to just face facts, after 15 years a lot of the people who played the original will be in their 40's and not be playing anymore - not all but certainly lots, anyone who missed the original will be ranking it against other modern FPS games and really shouldn't, Duke is a 1 dimensional character living in a mysoginistic wet-dream. The culture shock is similar to "Life On Mars" and is deliberate.

I understand not everyone will like this game and justify themselves by harping on about mechanics and sprites, but lets just call this game what it is - a sequel to Duke Nukem 3D, 10 years late, but still fun.

G

Im enjoying it fine.
Not great but definately a bigger winner on PC's for once.
It's puzzles and attempts at interaction outside of combat are VERY outdated (Barrels and RC cars? WTF?) Its duke and I am really enjoying the game. I can understand why some people simply dont like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.