DNF Shunned PR Guy Received Death Threats

Status
Not open for further replies.

cloakster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
A good game will get good reviews, a bad game will get bad reviews. Why does Jim Redner think otherwise? It sucks that there were threats, but the bad rep he has now is well deserved, he can't get mad for reviewers giving a bad review to a game they believe is bad.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
he is a moron...he is the face of the company, dont be saying stuff on twitter like that

very poor choice of words... makes gearbox, take two and 2k look really bad...

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Tweet was perfectly logical, the guy's an egomaniac though and a complete retard to post it in the first place. Time for another PR firm to do DNF promos.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Penny-arcade got it right... what he said is how it works, what is odd is that he brought attention to this fact.

Regardless, warning or no warning... those sites are going to get major retaliation from the publisher.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]cloakster[/nom]A good game will get good reviews, a bad game will get bad reviews. Why does Jim Redner think otherwise? It sucks that there were threats, but the bad rep he has now is well deserved, he can't get mad for reviewers giving a bad review to a game they believe is bad.[/citation]

hoenstly in the case of DNF , i think the bad reviews were given quite unfairly , in my opinion , most he bad reviews seem overly focused on teh older graphics , and the the older game mechanics ,which i hoenslty think is a BS reason to give abad reveiw , so what teh game , palys old school ? does every new shooter need to reinvent the wheel , to get agood review? i'd say definitly NOT sicne crappy repetivtive series like Call of Duty keep having even crappier sequels made for it that always get great reviews. no one slags that series for "not doing any thing new" infact it gets great reveiws despite me and many others hating the more reccent CoD games. (i stopped playing CoD after 4 )

but back to the question at hand, i dotn think DNF is a bad game , infact i think it is a great romp through the past , with some good gaming momen'ts sure it's nothign new , but why does it have to be ? i got what i expected from it , a good duke nukem game.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
most "reviews " are screened i never trust em, hell even on forums and question sites you have people paid by companies to pucsh thier products over another. makes it hard to tell the difference between fanboys and payed shells sometimes

that said I liked DNF, its a fun game, if there is a sequel i will buy it and play it. but i know there is somethign wrogn with reviews when they said DNF was unrealistic and the character had no depth... I was like... srsly... its frickin duke nukem he's got less depth than a blank sheet of paper and just kicks alien tail while getting tail its what i was expecting completely

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
As harsh as some of the early reviews were, I don't think his initial reaction was surprising, nor did it contain any attacks or insulting remarks. While it could have been said more professionally, the content itself was truthful. Publishers (and/or their PR reps) often reconsider their relationships with reviewers based on the reviews their titles receive. Governments do the same thing - leaking stories to members of the Press whom they believe will cover it favorably. It's called marketing.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
[citation][nom]jacekring[/nom](8.3/10 and B) to Dungeon Siege III PC version. Which is a awful game. Gamespot gave the 6/10 which I though was generous, I would have given them a 4/10.[/citation]

metacritic.com will take all the guesswork out of reviews for games movies whatever. Its the best.

"The Witcher 2" 88/100 based on 62 critics, 8.7 based on 1521 user reviews. "Dungeon siege 3" for pc 4.1 based on 88 user reviews.

You have to compare a game against whats on the shelves or released at the same time. If they'd specifically requested that all reviewers play through Duke Nukem first, and then play DNF, scores would have been better all around. Clearly, DNF is the exception given the history and is probably one of a very very few that should have been reviewed under a different set of rules.

I don't have a problem at all with what the guy said, just where he said it. Any reasonable person in his position would've felt similarly I believe.

frozentundra123456

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2009
Where did he get the part about feeling so sorry for celebrities?? My heart breaks for Jennifer Annisotn or the Kardashians. Young, rich, and beautiful (well relatively depending on your opinion). The rest of us should have such problems. If you dont want public scrutiny, dont be an actress or reality TV "star".

And as far as Redner goes, he is a professional, maybe he SHOULD think before he posts something on the internet. He had to sit down and type it out and then post it; it's not like some verbal comment that slipped out witout thinking.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
Funny how people will vent on twitter. I hear DNF has dated graphics and rehashed the same ole story. Of course games take allot of time and resources but that alone does not make it good. Next time dont delay a game so long that it is out dated!!! lol

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
TO EVERYONE SAYING GOOD GETS GOOD BAD GETS BAD READ THIS PLEASE

the message he sent was because SO many places were "offended" but the sexist personality that is duke, that they rammed the game down to a 40-50% lower score, seemingly only because of that.

they never expected gods gift to people, we all knew the game wouldnt be a 100% score, and the game inst, its closer to a 70-80% (depending on if you like the type of game it is) but most of the reviews that they are talking to rammed the game as a 1/10 or similar and sited that its sexist as one of the key reasons.

i hope you understand that its not because the game wasnt getting 10/10 that he posted that, but it was getting 1/10 for no reason but shock value and hopefully getting a few more hits on their site because of it.

kastraelie

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2006
Like many others have said, this has been overblown.

This wouldn't have been news if ANYTHING about NNF was frontpage news. Redner's twitter wasn't really bad at all--nothing like a Christian Bale or Mel Gibson rant.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]clonazepam[/nom]You have to compare a game against whats on the shelves or released at the same time. If they'd specifically requested that all reviewers play through Duke Nukem first, and then play DNF, scores would have been better all around. Clearly, DNF is the exception given the history and is probably one of a very very few that should have been reviewed under a different set of rules.I don't have a problem at all with what the guy said, just where he said it. Any reasonable person in his position would've felt similarly I believe.[/citation]
that sir is what i think is wrong with game reviews , i think it is grossly wrong to compare every new game to current games and mark a game down for not being "modern". it's the equivilant of saying ALL game of the past suck becuase they arnt modern , which this is clearly a skewed way to look at things becasue there is a massive market for retro gaming , no one ever says "retro gaming" sucks. but if a dev releaseds a game that plays like games of old , reviewers all say it sucks cos it's old feeling , which is jsut retarded. i dont ther shoudl be exceptions , games should not be compared to other games in terms of "moderness" you wouldn't comre a xbox live reimaging of a classic game to modern games would you?. i think games should be souly rated on rather or not they are fun not rather or not they meet modern play mechanic standards.

another example i use to illustrate my point , is the resident evil series , MANY resident evil fans really dislike the "modernization" of the series and would rather capcom , go back to the cinematic camera angles and old school exploration of the original resident evil games.

but given how poorly DNF got rated by many reviewers, i assume any effort capcom makes to retro the RE series would probably be viewed as sucking.

again i think games should jsut be rated on their fun factor , not thier moderness , such things should be only a foot note of any review in todays gaming landscape , not 50 % of thier grade.

randomizer

Champion
But as we pointed out, this practice isn't uncommon unless the reviews are seemingly stamped with IGN, Gamespot or another highly-commercialized site.
Those sites aren't too bad for the actual reviews that they post as long as you ignore the final scores, because they almost always have no connection to the rest of the review. I've seen IGN post reviews of a game that they thought was mediocre, only to give it 8/10. Game reviewers generally only have scales that go from (at best) 5-10/10, and in some cases 7-10/10.

Kileak

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
I knew DNF was going to be poop before I was done installing it. I saw the DirectX 9.0c installer come up and knew it was going to be another poorly shit out console port.

Sad, for a game that was so long in development, I thought the bar would have been pretty high for it to hit the shelves but nope, 6 years ago specs and gameplay feel is apparently all they could muster for the King.

Gearbox went "Balls of steel"-deep in every and any respectable PC gamer with this one, and most of them just bent over and took it and paid for the game...

The King is dead, long live the King.

animeman59

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2009
Dear Gearbox, 2K Games, and Take-Two Interactive,

Please fire Jim Redner, and never contract the Redner Group again for any PR on any game released by your company. Jim Redner is single-handedly destroying any goodwill from your fans. For the sake of not losing any business from the idiocy spewed from this drama queen's mouth, please find another PR firm that's not as stupid.

Thank you for finally releasing DNF. I hope that you will make another Duke Nukem that's 10x better. And I really want another awesome DLC for Borderlands. ^_^

falconqc

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2002
In his original post Redner did specify that he was making this comment against people making venomous reviews, not just people scoring the game poorly.

I've read a few reviews, and it seems clear to me that people who've played DN3D know what to expect from this game and rated it accordingly. Those who gave it a bad score because of it's sexist/ego-maniacal/long dev cycle just don't get it. They're probably too young to even know about fps gaming without a mouse anyway.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Game reviewers generally only have scales that go from (at best) 5-10/10, and in some cases 7-10/10.[/citation]I've discussed this with one or two reviewers, and their defence is that "we don't have the time nor get the space to write reviews of the bad games".

True or not isn't for me to decide...

Status
Not open for further replies.