DNS Changes From Automatic On Start-Up

xGuyFawkes

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014
Each time I start my computer I am forced to change my IPv4 connections DNS address or I have to set it to automatic. No matter what happens it will change on start up. I have even manually set my DNS to several of the solution DNS address people have posted saying it fixed their problem. It works perfectly fine on "Obtain DNS server address automatically." But, the problem exists that each time on start up, it changes to a specific address that results in the "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG" error message in my browser, while also hindering my ability to use other applications that use the internet like Steam. I am just curious on how to permanently change my DNS address to be obtained automatically, or the . I tried to research this topic before posting, but the only results were one time fixes or extremely long process that I didn't truly understand. If there is a simple fix that I am just missing, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE inform me. It just gets a little old having to change my DNS every time I shut down my computer.

Solution
Just to make sure you do not have a firewall blocking stuff try using the nslookup command when you have it broken

First do

NSLOOKUP www.tomshardware.com

You should see a error if you have a dns issues

Then try
NSLOOKUP www.tomshardware.com 8.8.8.8
NSLOOKUP www.tomehardware.com 4.2.2.2

You might get different results because of how this site does its hosting but if you get results then your machine can at least reach a DNS server.

If would be very strange the you can not force the DNS server to a fixed value in network settings for the ethernet port on your pc. You can leave your machine get the IP dynamic and hard code just the DNS. You of course could put in static IP and static DNS. It is one of those things that...
Unless you have very specific reasons, the DNS address should be configured on your DHCP server, so every time a client asks to lease an IP, the DNS address is passed along with the rest of IP information, that makes it consistent to all your LAN devices.

xGuyFawkes

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014

My computer recognizes that there is a connection and but still gets an error message that its unable to contact the host server. It simply wont connect through the Addressed assigned to it. And Just to clarify to all posts, this only happens on my desktop with a direct wired connection.

Just to make sure you do not have a firewall blocking stuff try using the nslookup command when you have it broken

First do

NSLOOKUP www.tomshardware.com

You should see a error if you have a dns issues

Then try
NSLOOKUP www.tomshardware.com 8.8.8.8
NSLOOKUP www.tomehardware.com 4.2.2.2

You might get different results because of how this site does its hosting but if you get results then your machine can at least reach a DNS server.

If would be very strange the you can not force the DNS server to a fixed value in network settings for the ethernet port on your pc. You can leave your machine get the IP dynamic and hard code just the DNS. You of course could put in static IP and static DNS. It is one of those things that just has to work or nobody would be able to run on a network that does not have a dhcp server.

Solution

xGuyFawkes

Reputable
Nov 13, 2014

Thank you so much, the last bits of information in your posts really helped me to understand the problem and fix it.