Question DNS issues

Captain_Wesker

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2016
Recently bought a Prebuilt gaming PC because I was too lazy to build one, It's a CyberpowerPC and it's a decent one actually with namebrand components even a corsair PSU actually came with it and surprised they didn't put a chinese crap PSU inside. Well anyways I was setting everything up and when it was time to setup the wifi I entered my wifi password and it connected but for some reason no internet connection. First thing I did was go to device manager and uninstall and reinstall the wifi adapter drivers did not work. Second I tried to reset my router, did not work. Third I tried to Reset TCP/IP and Winsock using command prompt, did not work. And lastly I changed the DNS server address to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and that worked got a connection but it doesn't solve the problem why I couldn't connect originally so Idk if I should go out and buy either a usb wifi adapter or a PCie wifi adapter. I'm using a onboard RZ616 Wi-Fi 6E 160MHz adapter on a MSI mobo.

The default is generally to use your router as a proxy dns server. The router itself generally uses your ISP dns server.

I will assume you changed the dns in the nic setting and not in the browser. It is unfortunate that there are 2 location you can change this but browsers added it because microsoft has not added encrypted dns yet.

Change the dns setting back to auto and then look at the ipconfig /all and see what is being used for the dns.

You can test the dns with the NSLOOKUP command and see what is returned if anything. You can also override the dns server on the command line