DNS/WINS fails on boot

I just migrated to a much faster server running Windows Server 2003
Enterprise SP1 and now DNS, WINS, and Priisms, an SQL-based app, all crash on
boot.

Event ID: 7023 - "The DNS Server service terminated with the following
error: The network is not present or not started."

Event ID: 7024 - "The Windows Internet Name Service (WINS) service
terminated with service-specific error 3758096385 (0xE0000001)."

Event ID: 7023 - "The PRIISMS Server service terminated with the following
error: The specified network resource or device is no longer available."

I found two solutions in the newsgroups which outlined how to delay loading
specific services:

http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windows.server.general/browse_thread/thread/1affbf153f7c402b/7925c7cade23bfa4?lnk=st&q=delay+service+2003&rnum=1&hl=en#7925c7cade23bfa4

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q193888/

1. I tried adding the TCPIP, ALG, and Lanmanserver services as dependencies
but it didn't change anything.

2. I also tried creating a service that would load the services from a
batch file but the service wouldn't start:

Event ID: 7009 - "Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the StartDWP
service to connect."

The batch file associated with the service does work if I run it manually.
As a workaround, I put it in the Startup group but that means those services
will only start after someone logs into the server. Does anyone have a
better solution??? It seems like this would work if I could only delay
those services from starting right away.

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
do you have the correct impersonation rights on the system?
if you detach this box from the domain do the services still fail to run?
we know they don't run upon machine startup, can you run them manually after?

diogosousa

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007

I can't find that setting, can you give me some "directions" ?