[SOLVED] Do all laptop fans start cooling when the laptop reaches 45 degrees Celsius?

Sep 12, 2021
Hello! This is my first laptop, I got it second hand and I took it to someone to clean it and replace the thermal paste. He told me the fan was not working properly and he could change it, which he did. Given the fact that the previous fan was not in good condition, I could not hear it going off when the laptop overheated, but this new one just goes off randomly, even when I'm AFK and not using it at anything, just blank desktop. It also starts the second I move the mouse cursor, but it doesn't usually last long, just about a second, just starts and stops randomly. I am not a computer person, so I don't know stuff. I looked on the Internet and I read something about the CPU and temperature. The CPU can be around 2% and the fan still starts and I noticed it stops when the temperature reaches lower than 45 degrees. This is happening quite frequently, I use Core Temp and it looks like the temperature is spiking quite a lot. I also use a cooler stand. Is this a normal laptop fan behaviour or should I take it back to the repairs? Thank you!

Solution
Yes, thanks for that. Your CPU is quite a powerful one (still). For most gaming laptops, the fans do start to kick up beyond 45c + on the CPU temps. It's pretty much normal. Your CPU will dial up and down in clockspeed, thus the temps increase/decrease, and then the fan noise.

Try running it on a balanced power plan, and see if that keeps it cooler. Alternatively you can look at using Throttlestop to undervolt your CPU. This is perfectly safe to do. Essentially you lower the voltage going to the CPU. This has two positive effects. 1st is the temps are lower. 2 Because the temps are lower your CPU can boost to higher speeds, and for longer periods. Its worth looking into.
Sep 12, 2021
Hey there,

Please tell us the exact model/make of your laptop. We cannot give any advice without knowing that :)
Hello! Sorry I did not include this. The laptop is an Asus Laptop, Model GL552VW, Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700HW CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2592 Mhz, 4 Cores, 8 Processors. Is this the information needed?

Yes, thanks for that. Your CPU is quite a powerful one (still). For most gaming laptops, the fans do start to kick up beyond 45c + on the CPU temps. It's pretty much normal. Your CPU will dial up and down in clockspeed, thus the temps increase/decrease, and then the fan noise.

Try running it on a balanced power plan, and see if that keeps it cooler. Alternatively you can look at using Throttlestop to undervolt your CPU. This is perfectly safe to do. Essentially you lower the voltage going to the CPU. This has two positive effects. 1st is the temps are lower. 2 Because the temps are lower your CPU can boost to higher speeds, and for longer periods. Its worth looking into.

Solution