[SOLVED] Do cooler cpu’s perform better?

BrandonFitzpatricc

Commendable
Jun 23, 2019
Just a brief question I have. To be more specific, if a CPU reaches 60° under load in one PC, and it reaches 70° under load in another PC, would the one at 60° perform better?

Solution
To build on @xravenxdota point for the OP - the reason for that will be because a turbo will only activate when there is sufficient headroom below throttle limit. If there is no headroom or temperatures are too high, the turbo will only go as far as possible.

So 60 / 70 - not a fat lot of difference.
However start creeping above 80 and you'll have some issues.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Just a brief question I have. To be more specific, if a CPU reaches 60° under load in one PC, and it reaches 70° under load in another PC, would the one at 60° perform better?
Not really. I've yet to see evidence that suggests so either.

However, the cooler a component is, the happier it is. One could argue that the 60 degree one may have a longer life span, but the difference between 60 and 70 for a CPU probably wouldn't have a substantial enough impact on the lifespan to notice it.

For example, if you take intel CPUs, as long as you keep them below 80 degrees, they'll last plenty of time (excluding any other defects). Regardless as to whether it is 60 or 70. But constantly pushing above 80, could have some negative impacts.

You'll only really notice in application performance decreases when you start approaching throttle temperatures. But regardless, a cooler one, is a happier one.

Reactions: BrandonFitzpatricc

xravenxdota

Reputable
Aug 26, 2017
One scenario that it actually made a difference are for instance.I had the stock amd ryzen 5 2600 and it would only boost a little over 3.6ghz and temps was running 82c on stress test.Not enough to throttle me but after i got my AIO my cpu boost up to 3775mhz and that's around 60 C.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
To build on @xravenxdota point for the OP - the reason for that will be because a turbo will only activate when there is sufficient headroom below throttle limit. If there is no headroom or temperatures are too high, the turbo will only go as far as possible.

So 60 / 70 - not a fat lot of difference.
However start creeping above 80 and you'll have some issues.

Solution

FurryVengence

Commendable
Jul 26, 2019
The higher the disparity the worse the scenario outcome may end up being. Also the more effect it has on overall performance. Currently I have my system sitting at about 60 degrees. I was thankfully able to accompish that with stock equipment form the case and the cooler.

Personally from what I see of your case I wouldn't go out of your way to get the 10 degrees cooler.