Do graphics card power requirements go down if not gaming?

Souffle

Reputable
Mar 12, 2015
hi all, looking at buying a Radeon r7 240x graphics card. Website says requires a 400w PSU... Mine is a 350watt, with 10 and 13 amps in its 2 12v rails. My PSU is also a hyena, which from what I've read is a pretty crappy brand.

My confusion comes because this is a gaming card, but I just want it so I can run Microsoft office with a high resolution (4k) screen, as part of my ongoing battle with computer eyestrain.

So my question is: Given that I'm not using this card for intensive uses like gaming, will it be ok with my current PSU? I imagine the 400w requirement is based on the assumption of gaming, but I'm not sure how much less power it will require if I never game (most intensive use would be occasional youtube).

Don't know too much about computers, but if you need any more info I'm happy to provide.

Thanks in advance,

Jay

Solution
Yes they do, and since the 240x requires no six pin you will be fine Just make sure that it does not have a six pin power port.
even still, I would invest in a 45 dollar corsair, EVGA, Antec... reputable power supply as bad ones tend to die when they are at or near full use alot. a 450 watt one would be fine. NOTE: you do not need a new power supply, but you would be better off in the long run getting one.

HR_Luka

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2014
Well, the thing is that components draw their maximum TDP on boot up (moment when you press Start button). If your PSU is not powerful enough that your computer won't boot at all. I'd suggest you try to get a new PSU if possible.
Regards,
HR_Luka

Also,Welcome to Tom's Hardware! :)

Yes they do, and since the 240x requires no six pin you will be fine Just make sure that it does not have a six pin power port.
even still, I would invest in a 45 dollar corsair, EVGA, Antec... reputable power supply as bad ones tend to die when they are at or near full use alot. a 450 watt one would be fine. NOTE: you do not need a new power supply, but you would be better off in the long run getting one.

Solution