[SOLVED] Do I bottleneck?

Oct 12, 2020
I have an intel i5 6600k with a z170-p motherboard, 500w power supply and I know everyone's been asking this but will I be bottlenecking if I get a 3060 ti or 3060 with a 1080p @75hz monitor? if so is there a good cpu I can upgrade to without switching my motherboard so I can handle the 3060? or do I have to get a new cpu, motherboard, and monitor?

I think the 6600k will hold it back a little but it will work.
You could upgrade the CPU....but I think the i7-7700k is the fastest for that MB....and it's not "that fast these days".....plus I recall they were pricey...probably because it's the fastest cpu for the motherboard. So I don't think that's a good route to go.

...and that 500 watt PSU is probably marginal at best.

Quad core/thread CPU’s struggle in some newer CPU heavy games regardless of gpu choice. As for upgrades the i7’s that fit your motherboard are only a moderate upgrade and still no better than a modern i3. They are also usually overpriced for their level of performance.

What psu is it?

Staticisgood

Honorable
Oct 27, 2014
I don't think you necessarily have to upgrade anything to see a boost in performance with the 3000 series GPU, however, I do think there will be a bottleneck. Were you to consider upgrading other components, I would just do a new build, when ready, and just carry the 3060 over to that build. On a budget, I think you could get full build done for about $500, not including the 3060.

Oct 12, 2020
Quad core/thread CPU’s struggle in some newer CPU heavy games regardless of gpu choice. As for upgrades the i7’s that fit your motherboard are only a moderate upgrade and still no better than a modern i3. They are also usually overpriced for their level of performance.

What psu is it?
I cant remember but I know its 80 gold+ and it has 500w

Oct 12, 2020

What psu is it?
is the i3 10100 good? because I could get that with a new b450 motherboard

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Bottlenecking is not a concern. Yes, it's possible that, depending on the game, the CPU might not be able to feed enough data to the GPU, but, so what? You have some GPU capacity to spare.

A 3060Ti (or even a 3060 when/if it comes out) is plenty to handle 1080p @ 75Hz. There's no such thing as an ideal balance between CPU and GPU because in one game, the CPU might be the weak link, and on the very same system, in another game, the GPU might be the weak link.

Don't stress over it.

What you SHOULD worry about, though, is the PSU. You want a high quality PSU to protect your expensive PC components. What is the brand and EXACT model of your PSU?

the 6600K is now a bottleneck with pretty anything gaming above Solitaire or QUake 3, frankly...and even more so with a powerful GPU..

It's 4cores/4 threads have been increasingly struggling to keep adequate frame rates for many users in most games that thrive under more than 8 threads.....(INtel's 6 core/6 thread offerings at least seemed adequate in minimum FPS comparisons, if not ideal, but, there are no 6 core options for Z170, so....moot point)