[SOLVED] Do I have a dead MB?

inmoncolley

Reputable
Mar 8, 2018
  • Gateway GT5220 Released 13 May 2008; MB: C51-PVGM-GB-V:1.0 15-V03-011000 AMD64 won't post, no beep;
  • Win10x32 Pro V1909; Have always used x32 on this PC. I've got some programs that will only run on this version of Win10 because it has the 16 bit option.
  • PSU (300W) seems ok with readings equal to = "Yellow wires should be 12 volts. Red wires: +5 volts, orange wires: +3.3 volts, blue wire : -12 volts, violet wire: 5 volts always on. Tolerances are +/- 5% except for the -12 volts which is +/- 10%. The gray wire is really important. It should go from 0 to +5 volts when you turn the PSU on with the case switch CPU needs this signal to boot." reading correctly with everything except CPU & Fans removed or disconnected;
  • RAM (4) sticks removed; BIOS & CMOS reset; still no beeps of any kind;
  • About 6 mos ago NiVida onbd graphics died; replaced with an old PCI card because when I tried to install a GeForce 8400GS in a the GPU slot it wouldn't get pass the BIOS; the PCI card has worked well enough to use;
  • Have had some issues with onbd 100 Mbps Ethernet not powering up on boot up; Pulling power cord & pushing power switch would reset; No further problems on that issue;
  • 4 days ago while attempting to get OpenVPN to work, PC locked up and had to force shut down / restart; at first it would reboot fine then after a couple of times it starting not posting; pulling / pushing power got it working again until yesterday.
  • I wanted to install a 1GB NIC : prior to installing the NIC I disabled the onbd Ethernet in the BIOS and rebooted fine; installed drivers for NIC; shut down normal; installed PCI-E NIC and rebooted fine; NIC undetected by BIOS and Device Manager;
  • PC locked up while using control panel; forced reboot and have not heard BIOS beep since; also no beeps with RAM removed;
  • I'm thinking since the onbd GPU and the GPU and PCI-e slots are dead; only the 2 PCI slots and now, only the fans work the MB has completely died.
Quote from" 21 Nov 13 No POST", "system won't boot", and "no video output" troubleshooting checklist."
Tell me your opinion, please.

inmoncolley

Reputable
Mar 8, 2018
Thanks Ralston18. I've decided to replace this 2006 PC (Sorry, picked the wrong date in the initial article. I looked at the wrong PC info I had i.e. blind in one eye and can't see out of the other!) I've gotten a LOT of usage out of this PC. It's gone through every Windows OS from Win98 to Win10 and a side line trial of Linux so, I can't complain. Thanks again.