Question Do i have enough power for two gpus?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jay_16

Honorable
Dec 2, 2015
Hi, I want to do a bit of ether mining on the side, but not sure if my pc can handle the cards.

My power supply is gold certified 700w.

i currently have an rtx 2060 but i was wondering if i could also add like Ti card in there. or a low power usage one to boost my MHs

Any ideas?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Also, I'm quite surprised by the heavy-handed moderation in this thread. It's true your PSU isn't of great quality, but TommyTwoTone66's assertion that 700W is sufficient power for mining with two cards is absolutely correct. I'd even go a step further and say it's common knowledge in the mining community, given that your cards should be configured with a reduced power limit. It's worth getting a quality PSU if you plan on mining 24/7, but 700W is a sufficient power budget.

Not that I need to explain myself here but you do make a point that is important to note.

Nobody whom had posted in this thread is disputing that 700w is plenty of power to do what the OP wants to do. More than enough even.

The issue comes into place with the following, the quality of the PSU that the OP has is VERY low, and especially with GPU prices right now, do you want to be running two expensive pieces of hardware 24x7 mining (ie when you aren't sitting in front of the computer where if/when something goes wrong you are there to stop it)? In addition the person ignoring this fact was personally attacking those who disputed him, and the OP, as well as adding fanatical theoreticals. All of which goes against the rules and spirit of this site. We want people to get good, safe, knowledgable help without abuse.

And so he is no longer posting in this thread. This is the end of discussion on this, if you have any questions on my decision feel free to privately message me.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
Yes still fine. Please do it and post back your hash rate because these other chumps seem to think that a 700W PSU isn't up for the job, based on... nothing?
Of course, the classic downvote + everyone's a chump except for me comeback reply for when you really need to defend the idea that MoAR wAtTs = beTteR QuaLiTy!!!! no matter what's going on in the thread.
8ncKDu.gif

EVEN when Aerocool units have a bad rep when it comes to quality.

Under that idea we could even say that a crumbling coal power plant with rusty generators from 1890 that produces 5MW is better than a last gen combined cycle that only produces 4.8 solely because the first "has more watts".

When it comes to quality a CX650 (that's an entry level PSU) would absolutely beat the Aerocool.

edit: downvoting me with alts and backing your own comment won't make you right so I'll proceed to LOL
5f0.png

Last edited:

Jay_16

Honorable
Dec 2, 2015
Update: I got my hands on an RTX 3060. Im now Running an RTX 2060 and RTX 3060 both mining overclocked on my 700w PSU. There are no issues, I have spoken to some miners I know and they also said it's fine too, core clocks are fully underclocked so very little power is being used, if I'm gaming I tend to turn off both gpus to ensure I have enough power.

Currently getting 75MH.

Reactions: TommyTwoTone66

Ralston18

Titan
@Jay_16,

This: "Im now running a 3060 and a 2060 on my 700w power supply both overclocked getting 75MH. no issues at all. "

That can certainly be so.

However, in my mind the matter is not that the GPU's will or will not run/perform/mine with any given PSU wattage or rating/efficiency.

Especially when those values were likely "established" under ideal conditions and possibly statistically skewed one way or another....

The question is for how long will it run? Especially with overclocking and numerous other system demands for power.

Mining needs power. Power generates heat. Heat destroys electronics.

Hence the need for more cooling which in turn needs even more power.

And details do matter....

@Rogue Leader summed it up nicely in his post (#26).

For me the mining risks to the GPU(s) or overall system far exceed the little chance of profit to be made.

Especially with your competition being entities with vast mining rigs. (Google "bit-mining rigs images".)

If someone wishes to mine then the important thing is that they understand risks involved: short-term and long term.

Right now, the GPU market being as it is, I would not want to have to go looking for a new GPU.

Keep a very close eye on your system.

OllympianGamer

Honorable
Dec 22, 2016
Just from personal experience over say the past ten years I always leave my PC on, sometimes with games on pause for days with the gpu running high. Its stupid as it wastes electricity but the only components I've had fail are 1 hdd and 1 ssd. Hell at my old work place we had off the shelf Dell pcs running 24/7 for at least the 7 years I was there and only 1 was replaced in my time, 1 was in an enclosed metal compartment at about 100 degrees from 2000 and it was somehow still going strong in 2018. Mining ethereum isnt taxing on the system really apart from the gpus vram especially if you undervolt and underclock which is almost a must for mining. Could mining break your gpu or psu? Sure it could but they could also fail during a game of fortnight which is probably more taxing on the components.

If you already own decent hardware thats fine but going out and buying 1 gpu to add to your system for mining on the premise Ethereum will skyrocket is stupid though, it would probably be smarter to just use that money to buy some ethereum.

Jay_16

Honorable
Dec 2, 2015
@Jay_16,

This: "Im now running a 3060 and a 2060 on my 700w power supply both overclocked getting 75MH. no issues at all. "

That can certainly be so.

However, in my mind the matter is not that the GPU's will or will not run/perform/mine with any given PSU wattage or rating/efficiency.

Especially when those values were likely "established" under ideal conditions and possibly statistically skewed one way or another....

The question is for how long will it run? Especially with overclocking and numerous other system demands for power.

Mining needs power. Power generates heat. Heat destroys electronics.

Hence the need for more cooling which in turn needs even more power.

And details do matter....

@Rogue Leader summed it up nicely in his post (#26).

For me the mining risks to the GPU(s) or overall system far exceed the little chance of profit to be made.

Especially with your competition being entities with vast mining rigs. (Google "bit-mining rigs images".)

If someone wishes to mine then the important thing is that they understand risks involved: short-term and long term.

Right now, the GPU market being as it is, I would not want to have to go looking for a new GPU.

Keep a very close eye on your system.
Heat does kill component I understand that. The side panel is removed and the fans are sitting around 65-75% which is perfectly fine.

the Vram temp hits a max of 81c and the overall temp of both gpus sits around 65c. So I really don’t see much risk to the gpus at this temp, especially when it runs a lot higher when gaming.

I realise people think that it may not be profitable, and maybe not.

but at the minute I’m pulling a nice little bit of extra cash a day and I would like to emphasise that it’s more of a hobby than a business.
those gpus are mining me the crypto I want and I believe in it’s long term potential.