Question Do I have the right CPU for my motherboard?

Dec 13, 2020
I have a MSI X99S LSI Plus motherboard. Bit old I know but been holding onto it for a while and finally got a CPU for it. Intel i7-5820K socket 2011 v3. I have the right CPU but unsure of the socket.

The CPU is a haswell socket, but the mother board looks to be an IVY socket. The CPU fits but I'm unsure if the pins connect. Could someone please explain to me if this works and how? Or am I being an idiot? (Which I probably am)

If the CPU shows as being compatible then obviously the socket has to be compatible too, or else it wouldn't show as being compatible. That seems pretty basic and obvious, or at least it should. I would not worry about "socket compatibility", ever, if the CPU model is on the CPU support list for the motherboard in question. In fact, I wouldn't worry about it AT ALL, ever, and would instead simply make sure the CPU is on the compatibility list for the board because we've seen a number of occasions where the sockets from several different generations were the same, both LGA 1151, but the CPUs were NOT compatible forwards and backwards with that socket. For example, LGA 1151 8th and 9th Gen motherboards are NOT compatible with LGA 1151 6th and 7th Gen CPUs, and visa versa.