Question Do I have the right settings for my Ryzen 3800X?

Jan 22, 2020
I have an Asus Prime X570-Pro and a Ryzen 3800X and I'm wondering if I'm using the proper settings for this CPU. I have Asus AI Suite 3 and Ryzen Master installed but both of those programs are to set to default so they're not altering any system settings; I just use AI Suite 3 to control my case fans. Also, all of the settings on my motherboard are to default except that XMP is enabled and DRAM voltage is manually set to 1.35 volts.

My build:

Asus Prime X570-Pro
Ryzen 3800X (Stock cooler installed)
Asus STRIX RTX 2080 Super
2 x 8GB G Skill Trident Z Neo 3600 Mhz
Corsair MP600
Corsair RM750x

*As far as cooling goes, I have 7 case fans in a Corsair 760T case.

IMG-4737.jpg

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I'm not sure why exactly, I built this awhile ago. I've been worried my cpu core voltage is too high.

Vcore voltage is going to bounce around as Ryzen adjusts itself. Its perfectly fine. There is nothing to worry about.

One of the number one problems people have with their system is that they spend too much time tweaking it just to run stock. If you have it at stock settings and a proper cooler and its staying cool 99.9% of the time you have nothing to worry about. Ignore the voltages, the chip is not going to hurt itself, and definitely don't lock in memory settings unless you need to. XMP is a set it and forget it feature... unless its unstable for some reason of course.

Of course should you decide to Overclock all that goes out the window.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
ive found for my system ive also had to make sure I was using Ryzen balanced power profile and leave the windows power slider thing in the middle. as well Ive had to adjust my Min CPU usage in advanced power options from 5% to 20%. the power settings however make a large difference. if I run benchmark (userbenchmark.) with it set any other way it always comes back as preforming below expected. but set that way it always comes back preforming well above expected (81 percentile) id have to assume this is true for all Ryzen

Jan 22, 2020
The vcore will change depending on the load. Its hard to get used to seeing 1.5 vcore without panicking.

Is it really supposed to be that high? I've seen many videos where people are saying it may not be such a good thing. I wasn't really sure about so that's why I came here.
Vcore voltage is going to bounce around as Ryzen adjusts itself. Its perfectly fine. There is nothing to worry about.

One of the number one problems people have with their system is that they spend too much time tweaking it just to run stock. If you have it at stock settings and a proper cooler and its staying cool 99.9% of the time you have nothing to worry about. Ignore the voltages, the chip is not going to hurt itself, and definitely don't lock in memory settings unless you need to. XMP is a set it and forget it feature... unless its unstable for some reason of course.

Of course should you decide to Overclock all that goes out the window.

I figured out that I hadn't manually set the DRAM voltage, it was just yellow so I assumed I must have but I didn't. It was all done automatically with XMP.

***Whats all this stuff about precision overboost? Is there something I need to change? Everything is default except XMP is enabled. Also, is typical for a Ryzen 3800X with stock cooling to basically idle at 50c? That's what its averaging with just a browser open.

Last edited:

zx128k

Reputable
Precision boost overdrive is a feature that allows you to overclock the CPU by removing the limits in power and current. Precision boost is the stock overclocking feature. xmp will normally change the DRAM voltage if needed.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
***Whats all this stuff about precision overboost? Is there something I need to change? Right everything is default except XMP is enabled. Also, is typical for a Ryzen 3800X with stock cooling to basically idle at 50c? That's what its averaging with just a browser open.

PBO is a feature that allows your CPU to run beyond its stock limits if you have the cooling headroom. 50c at idle is a bit high. How are your case fans setup? I see you have the stock cooler, it doesn't really have the "oomph" needed for PBO either.

Usually yes but without finer settings.

PBO is not on by default. On Gigabyte boards its buried in the AMD CBS Menu under XFR Enhancement, you need to specifically enable it after answering a disclaimer. On ASUS its under Extreme Tweaker and then Precision Boost Overdrive. You're probably thinking of PB2 which is basically Turbo.

Jan 22, 2020
PBO is a feature that allows your CPU to run beyond its stock limits if you have the cooling headroom. 50c at idle is a bit high. How are your case fans setup? I see you have the stock cooler, it doesn't really have the "oomph" needed for PBO either.

PBO is not on by default. On Gigabyte boards its buried in the AMD CBS Menu under XFR Enhancement, you need to specifically enable it after answering a disclaimer. On ASUS its under Extreme Tweaker and then Precision Boost Overdrive. You're probably thinking of PB2 which is basically Turbo.

I just want to be clear here: precision boost is on by default and PBO isn't, correct? If that's true then I only have precision boost turned on and not PBO. I have 2 x 140mm (Front) 3 x 120mm (Top) 1 x 140mm (Back) 1 x 120mm (Bottom). The front and back fans came with the corsair 760T case, but the rest are LL120s. Not only that but I adjusted the base speed of my CPU fan from 30% to 70% meaning that my fan runs at a minimum of 70% at all times (but the rest of the case are running under standard settings.) If it goes up 10c then it goes up to 80%, and so on. I should mention, although it idles around 50c, when I play a game like Modern Warfare max setting at 1080p it doesn't actually seem to get that hot. It usually sits in the high 60s mid 70s. Just a test I ran Cinebench R20 ten times and it maxed out at 82c on Ryzen Master.

Last edited:

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I just want to be clear here: precision boost is on by default and PBO isn't, correct? If that's true then I only have precision boost turned on and not PBO. I have 2 x 140mm (Front) 3 x 120mm (Top) 1 x 140mm (Back) 1 x 120mm (Bottom). Not only that but I adjusted the base speed of my CPU fan from 30% to 70% meaning that my fan runs at a minimum of 70% at all times. If it goes up 10c then it goes up to 80%, and so on. I should mention, although it idles around 50c, when I play a game like Modern Warfare max setting at 1080p it doesn't actually seem to get that hot. It usually sits in the high 60s mid 70s. Just a test I ran Cinebench R20 ten times and it maxed out at 82c on Ryzen Master.

I need to know what direction each of those fans is flowing.

ASUS includes a Fan Xpert tuning utility, you should allow that to try and tune your fans and then work off its results, it actually works very well.

82c is not awful and considering its the stock cooler is fine.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
your fan stays at 70% all the time yet you Idle at 50°C? if that is true .. id think something is wrong.. that seems very high for fan being at 70%... silly question.. but when you installed the CPU cooler did you remove the plastic over the thermal paste? (ive seen it happen) .. because although my Ryzen isnt a 3800x.. mien Idles at a touch over 30°C ... 50 seems high

Jan 22, 2020
your fan stays at 70% all the time yet you Idle at 50°C? if that is true .. id think something is wrong.. that seems very high for fan being at 70%... silly question.. but when you installed the CPU cooler did you remove the plastic over the thermal paste? (ive seen it happen) .. because although my Ryzen isnt a 3800x.. mien Idles at a touch over 30°C ... 50 seems high

Ughh I just got a sick feeling when you said that. I'm pretty sure I removed it. This wasn't the first PC I've ever built, but then again I suppose it's possible. It'd be such a bitch to uninstall my motherboard given that everything is ziptied and all that. Although I do have have some Arctic MX-4 on hand that I never used. I wonder if it would be worth it to check because in the least I could swap out the thermal paste for something better and ensure that the CPU fan is in fact installed properly. I actually doubt I did anything wrong but the idle temp makes me think perhaps I did.

The front 2 x 140 and bottom 1 x 120 bring air in, the back 1 x 120 and top 3 x 120 take air out.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Ughh I just got a sick feeling when you said that. I'm pretty sure I removed it. This wasn't the first PC I've ever built, but then again I suppose it's possible. It'd be such a bitch to uninstall my motherboard given that everything is ziptied and all that. Although I do have have some Arctic MX-4 on hand that I never used. I wonder if it would be worth it to check because in the least I could swap out the thermal paste for something better and ensure that the CPU fan is in fact installed properly. I actually doubt I did anything wrong but the idle temp makes me think perhaps I did.

The front 2 x 140 and bottom 1 x 120 bring air in, the back 1 x 120 and top 3 x 120 take air out.

Fan setup is correct. Its HIGHLY HIGHLY unlikely you left the plastic on mainly because AMD Stock coolers come in a plastic tray, you'd notice if it was still there, and you don't have to remove the cooler to know its there because you'd see it. Also the processor would have overheated by now. And it would have melted and made a really bad burning smell.

Fan setup is good, remove any manual settings you have and try fanXpert. 50c at idle doesn't really matter if you're hitting 82c under load. Idle temps are really not the best measure. 82c under load is a little hot but fine, and likely because its a stock cooler. Could run forever like that.

If that stock cooler could run it at 71c like my AIO, then there would be no market for aftermarket coolers! lol.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
If that stock cooler could run it at 71c like my AIO, then there would be no market for aftermarket coolers! lol.
my stock AMD cooler works great. under load my CPU never really comes close to 70°C .. I can run prime 95 for hours using small FFT and my CPU doesn't even top 66°C... mind you my CPU is not OC or anything either.. but this is all default fan settings etc as well.. AMD do make good Stock coolers often rated for MORE than the CPU needs.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
my stock AMD cooler works great. under load my CPU never really comes close to 70°C .. I can run prime 95 for hours using small FFT and my CPU doesn't even top 66°C... mind you my CPU is not OC or anything either.. but this is all default fan settings etc as well.. AMD do make good Stock coolers often rated for MORE than the CPU needs.

Yes but a lot more goes into the temperature than just the cooler. You may have a better case than him, better case fans, lower ambient temp, etc. Thats why when tests are done on websites its done in such controlled conditions. In fact everything must be unusually cool because my Corsair H100i won't keep my 3700X as cool as you are getting doing the same test. And the H100i would easily beat the Wraith in any instrumented test.

Hes not the first person who has done everything right and gotten over 80c with a stock AMD Wraith. Its not awful, and certainly not concerning, but I agree it could be better.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
yes I suppose a lot can impact cooling. and as you mentioned it is still safe , although a tad hot.. and I'm sure the CPU wouldn't be under full load 100% the time either.. I know aftermarket coolers for the most part are better than stock. but AMD does provide decent coolers often rated for more than CPU needs. so Im not sure if ALL after market coolers would benefit. but logic would say that more surface area being cooled at once = more cooling.. so clearly a 240mm Rad would trump a small heat sync... but I know this isnt always true as well, as many AIO do not perform any better than a air cooler that was 1/3rd the cost..

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
yes I suppose a lot can impact cooling. and as you mentioned it is still safe , although a tad hot.. and I'm sure the CPU wouldn't be under full load 100% the time either.. I know aftermarket coolers for the most part are better than stock. but AMD does provide decent coolers often rated for more than CPU needs. so Im not sure if ALL after market coolers would benefit. but logic would say that more surface area being cooled at once = more cooling.. so clearly a 240mm Rad would trump a small heat sync... but I know this isnt always true as well, as many AIO do not perform any better than a air cooler that was 1/3rd the cost..

AMD's new Wraith coolers are the best "Stock" cooler probably ever released but a downdraft style cooler isn't always ideal for all situations. And yes some AIO coolers are no better than their air counterparts. The main use of an AIO is to move the heat exchange away from the CPU area. Depending on your case design this can be very beneficial. Like I said, a lot of factors go into cooling. When it comes to 120mm coolers compared to Air you are correct there are few that are better than good air coolers. In fact in most cases the Noctua NH-D15 is the best choice. But AIO coolers have their place and in the end, all of these things beat the Wraith handily, but:

Why you shouldn't water cool your PC its interesting controlled results..

Fine list of pros and cons, doesn't prove anything either way. And in the end all of this is taking the OP's question off topic. So lets leave this discussion alone until he gets back to us.

TRENDING THREADS